Logbook?

Vermiform

I understand that most pros use a log book to log all of their flights to keep up with maintenance, etc.

What type of logbook do you use and what info do you put in it?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I think most people are using the typical flight log that can be purchased at retailers who sell full-scale products.

If you're an iPhone user stay tuned, there will be an app coming soon that includes many features useful to our hobby/industry, one of which will be a full flight log.

Vermiform

I try not to come into contact with Apple products as they all carry the iRot disease. They also give you worms. :D

dazzab

If you fly Pixhawk or SuperX you will have a log of every flight created for you each time you fly. And now with smart batteries they could even include accurate battery information. It would be nice if all this info could be extracted and presented in the format of an easy to read log book automatically for those of us that are lazy.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
It's true it would be helpful to have that sync with an app. Accessing the various data sets and formats could prove an issue.

Also, I know my superx logs certain data - but not everything required by the pilot log book, such as wind etc. but it still would be a nice start.

Vermiform

That's something else I was wondering. I am about to maiden my first APM quad and was wondering if I use mission planner if it could somehow be used to create a flight log.

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
I use a FLYTREX flight data recorder to do my logging.
If I need a paperlog it would be a battery charge/discharge log.

One paper I would really would find usefull is a pre-flight checklist. Anyone have a pre-flight checklist they want to share?

Last edited by a moderator:

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
I was issued a regular full-scale logbook while I was flying UAVs overseas. I'm thinking about just using the same thing for multirotors since I'm used to it... a couple of things need to be changed, but it's not too difficult. Plus I kind of like having a paper copy.

I'll probably end up digitizing it for a backup though.

ETA: eskil, I'm thinking about doing a simple preflight list, laminating it (along with other pertinent paperwork) and attaching them to my transmitter tray as an easy-access reference.

Dezy

I was issued a regular full-scale logbook while I was flying UAVs overseas. I'm thinking about just using the same thing for multirotors since I'm used to it... a couple of things need to be changed, but it's not too difficult. Plus I kind of like having a paper copy.

I'll probably end up digitizing it for a backup though.

ETA: eskil, I'm thinking about doing a simple preflight list, laminating it (along with other pertinent paperwork) and attaching them to my transmitter tray as an easy-access reference.

I made the attached form - trying to cram as much client info, shoot info, and check lists as possible. The empty rectangle is where I usually draw a map of the area, with the circle for the wind MPH and an arrow showing direction.

Attachments

• Aerial Photo Form.pdf
    106.7 KB · Views: 273

violetwolf

Brilliant idea. (Logging from the FC) Someone should submit a feature request with the arducopter devs... I'll bet it would gain support.

Vermiform

I made the attached form - trying to cram as much client info, shoot info, and check lists as possible. The empty rectangle is where I usually draw a map of the area, with the circle for the wind MPH and an arrow showing direction.

Nice. This gives me something to work with.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Starting to get an idea of what to record and why.

dazzab

If you fly Pixhawk or SuperX you will have a log of every flight created for you each time you fly. And now with smart batteries they could even include accurate battery information. It would be nice if all this info could be extracted and presented in the format of an easy to read log book automatically for those of us that are lazy.
Wow, someone actually recently wrote a program to do just this. See https://github.com/wilselby/ArduPilotRecordBook if interested. Once I get it up and running I'll post more info.