Llama's Night Ninja

StonedLlama

Spinny Side Up
I have finally satisfied my research curiosities, and have begun purchasing parts for my first Quad build!

The goal is to build an all purpose quadcopter. I have come to realize this is an oxymoron with severe compromises!

My primary 3 needs were as follows:

• Robust frame with cheap replacement parts and large enough to carry a GoPro and FPV gear + large battery
  • Motors, ESC's and Flight Controller capable of acrobatic flight!
  • Board Cam FPV Gear that will out range my Radio TX and RX
*Side objective- Fly night missions without disturbing the peace... (Purchased a .008lux B+W capable 900TVL Board Cam to try this out)

So I have begun assembling parts after countless hours of research... I did my best to find components that would work well together to maximize stability and flight times on big batteries for FPV, while maintaining acrobatic qualities when running smaller cells.

Here is a build out of my components thus far:
[url]https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qEV0lTbWkm7wlAUKEOVeXszXyfQaslDTPBFDIrf95lc/edit#gid=0[/URL]

In summary it is a F450 with T-Motors MS2208 through R2F 20A House ESC's running on MultiWii Pro Ez3.0 with GPS, OSD, and Bluetooth. I have heard MultiWii may not be recommended for beginners, but I like the price point and features so I'll give it a shot.

I still have a few components to gather at this time such as a radio tx and rx, video tx and rx, and some cheap FPV goggles. There is so much information available online that I have had a hard time pin pointing the exact setup I want, however, based on my research I am leaning towards a Spektrum DX8 w/ Telemetry RX, and 5.8gHz video signal through either Boscam or Immersion gear.

Stay tuned for more updates as parts come in and I begin my build! I will do my best to document everything with either pictures of video of the process for your viewing pleasure...

*As of 4/21 my 4500mAh batteries, black + blue props and LiPo charger have arrived from Hobby King!

SoCal Blur

Looks like you're well on your way. You might want to consider the Taranis radio/reciever over the Spektrum. Its a great radio and tons of functionality. I'm also running the MultiWii Pro (Blacked) Ez3.0 with GPS... using sbus (finally!) and the Taranis radio gear on my Octocopter.

StonedLlama

Spinny Side Up
Thanks for the radio input, Blur!

I actually just added the Turnigy 9XR to my prospective radio list. It looks like it has all the features and the basic telemetry I am looking for at a much lower price!
This is the radio: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__31544__Turnigy_9XR_Transmitter_Mode_2_No_Module_.html
And here is the simple diversity receiver I am looking at as well: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14355__FrSky_DF_2_4Ghz_Combo_Pack_for_JR_w_Module_RX.html

All I would need is a battery and I would be on my way with 8ch telemetry for around $120, instead of $300+ with a comparable Spektrum setup...

Any thoughts? Does anyone using the 9XR have comments about quality or range with the D8R-II Plus?

SoCal Blur

The thing to consider is that you get up to 16 channels using the Taranis. You may not think you'll need them or the additional features now but you'll soon wish you had the extra headroom. For example, A typical set up 4 channels for basic flight control (Throttle, Pitch, Roll, Yaw), 4 Aux channels to separate out some of the flight modes in the three positions switches separated, additional channels for Gear and Gimbal:

Aux1 -Sw 1 (Acro, Angle, GPS Hold) Aux 2 - SW 2 (0, 0, Altitude Hold), Aux 3 - SW3 (0,0, GPS RTH) Aux 4 - SW4 (0, Headfree), Channel 9 Retractable Landing Gear, Channel 10 Gimbal Pitch Control.

You really don't want to skimp on the only lifeline you have between your quad and you.

StonedLlama

Spinny Side Up
Thanks for the recommendation Blur, I just picked up the Taranis with X8R combo from GetFPV while they still had some in stock! This looks like a great radio combo for the price, and has all the features I am looking for. Now I just need someone to show me how to hook this mess up when it all gets here! ;-)

StonedLlama

Spinny Side Up
Does anyone have experience with video transmitters and the SkyZone 5.8gHz Diversity Goggles? I think I understand the goggles diversity system, but I don't quite get how the video TX output works.

I would like to know if a standard video transmitter like the Immersion RC 600mw 5.8gHz vTx (5740, 5760, 5780, 5800, 5820, 5840, 5860MHz) will output on all signals simultaneously for the SkyZones to capture two of with diversity (say a clover leaf on 5740 and a heli on 5780), or if if is locked on a single channel transmission? Would I need a special TX to broadcast diversity is the root of my question.

I am also very open to ideal Video TX suggestions for the SkyZone Goggles with clear range over 1 mile! Probably around 500 or 600mw. I have narrowed my searching to basically two TX's: Immersion 7Ch 600mw and Boscam 32Ch TS832 600mw, both around $70...
I like that the Boscam TX displays the channel I am on, so it can be easily matched to the SkyZones, but I would be more concerned with performance. Does 32 channels always beat 7 since I have the SkyZones?

Next on my list: Best antenna's out there for 5.8g under $30?? (Do they need to be tuned to certain channels or just a frequency range?)

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:

StonedLlama

Spinny Side Up
After some information replies I received in the beginners lounge, I pulled the trigger on the Immersion RC 600mw TX and a pair of 4 leaf SprioNETs! I think this combo will get me some great range and clarity on my SkyZones.

StonedLlama

Spinny Side Up
My new Taranis receiver arrived a few days ago. Now that I have had some time to play with it, and get some of the pre-programming in, I can say I really like the layout and features. The menu system takes some getting used to, and companion9x required some extra work to connect properly, but now I have this thing talking like Yoda with an Android splash screen! I love the customization options! I am using the Seeker image for now, until I find a better F450 icon. :)

Next step is to break in my batteries with my 4 button charger. I am going to charge them up on 1a, and slowly discharge them a few times before I fly with them. Still waiting on the majority on my parts so I can get started with the quad.

Pictures coming soon...

StonedLlama

Spinny Side Up
Almost all of my parts have arrived and it is starting to feel like Christmas has come early!

I trudged through the hundreds of posts for Taranis and MW2.3 setups, and have finally been able to program my Taranis to Aux inputs in MW2.3 Gui. I was quite proud of myself, although it was easier than I figured thanks to Pauls' mostly pre-configured board.

I just set up 3 channels bound to switches in Companion9x, and then once I bound my receiver, the Taranis switch inputs were registering on the Aux channels in MW! It was too easy.... The only issue I found was that channel 6 did not want to be bound to switch SE, or at least MW didn't want to register my switch inputs over that channel, despite being bound in exactly the same way I did channel 5 to get 3 flight modes out of switch SG...

I found online that the X8R may have a non-linear output progression for the pin-outs, or something like that? Didn't make sense, I just want to soothe my OCD, and get my second set of 3 flight modes toggled over Channel 6 instead of 8 in my mixes list if possible. I successfully got my 2 way switch SF working for my RTL on channel 7, no problem at all.

Anyways, I can live with this minor insignificance since I still have 6 flight modes programmed! Wooooo! I am still working on getting my MultiWii EZ GUI over Bluetooth connected, but I haven't given it my full attention yet either. I've been too distracted soldering new battery connectors and programming my Taranis!

The build is waiting on another small shipment from hobbyking with some JST connectors for my ESC's and I definitely forgot about mounting hardware and standoffs so a tip to the hobby store will be in order soon, unless I make a new friend nearby with spare parts! ;-)

I'll post pics once I get parts out of packaging and ready to assemble!

SoCal Blur

If you're having difficulty with your bluetooth connecting with the mobile app, check your TX/RX connections to the board. I had the same problem and found that I had reversed them accidently. Once that was resolved, it worked correctly. Also, when you're writing from the Mulitwii GUI to the board, make sure the bluetooth module is disconnected or some of the stuff won't write or it won't write at all.

StonedLlama

Spinny Side Up
Thanks for the info, I will double check my connections for the adapter. I'll also be sure not to flash my FC with the BT module disconnected.

Cheers!

StonedLlama

Spinny Side Up
It was most definitely swapped TX/RX connectors on my Bluetooth module! Thank you again Blur for the info!

I have assembled my arms, basically plug and play at this point. I even managed to get all my connectors right at the armpit joints, for clean wiring!

Take a look at my build album if you want to see how I kept it all tidy: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B28RLt93PTfMMnl1N1pPZTZvUW8&usp=sharing

All that is left is to solder my Xt60 and JST connectors to the IC board, with a couple extra JST's for the LED's and my Camera! I should be ready to start final assembly tonight if my remaining HobbyKing parts show up!

More photos to come!

StonedLlama

Spinny Side Up
The build is coming together very nicely! I am taking it in small steps as I usually don't have large blocks of time to allot. I have soldered all my IC board connections, including hard soldering my XT60 connector to the board, and 7 Male JST connector whips. I figure 4 for motors, 2 for rear LEDS and one for my Video TX. I also have an inline XT60 with a female JST connector if there is something I missed.

I also got creative with mounting my MultiWii Pro EZ Mega Black and my X8R receiver. I used 2 pieces of thick foam with one side adhesive applied to the IC board (Cut to fit the bottom of my FC), and then I used 4 small zip-ties to mount the FC securely to the foam. I will need to take a level to it, and see if I need to adjust any of the ties to get it perfectly flat with the IC board, but this should be fairly simple. Then I flipped my board over, and saw there was a round spot of sticky foam peering through the center hole of my IC board, so I decided that would be a nice place for my X8R Receiver to go since it is just the right height for ground clearance under the body with the stock legs. Armed with some much thinner grey double sided foam tape (that industrial stuff), I filled the gap in the hole with a small piece, then applied a piece sized to fit the bottom of the X8R to the bottom, and stuck it nicely on the bottom of my IC board, covering the hole. I'll run the RX EZ connector back to my MWP, along with my other EZ connectors for Bluetooth and GPS.

My next mission is to mount the GPS and Bluetooth securely. Finally I will mock up all my FPV gear and see how I feel about my CG distribution when it comes time for batteries.

You can check out all the pictures at the link in my above post or below, I'll keep adding them throughout the rest of my build and testing.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B28RLt93PTfMMnl1N1pPZTZvUW8&usp=sharing

StonedLlama

Spinny Side Up
Looking good so far!

Do you have any recommendations for covering my solder patches? Is silicone acceptable, or should I spring for liquid electrical tape?

Also, I want to know if my battery is above my GPS at all, will that kill my sat signal? I am considering mounding my GPS to the back plate extension, but my big 4500 may cover some of it when I place it on top.. Will this be a big issue?

Thanks in advance!

StonedLlama

Spinny Side Up
Night Ninja has been flown!

Considering the 20 mph winds, and my lack of rc skills, I think the maiden flight went very smoothly! The PID settings seem solid, as the quad was not dancing around or shuttering at all, even in the crazy winds! The gains or rates seemed very low to me, but I didn't try any other modes due to the wind.

I did find that my propeller nuts on my CCW motors wanted to loosen quite easily. Can anyone tell me if there are supposed to be CCW adapters for 2 of my motors, or if I just need to tighten the top nuts a little more on those motors?

Second question: If I wanted to increase a rate, for let's say my rudder, and I want it to apply to every mode and channel, what would be the best way to do that? I have been messing around in the Companion9x mixes, and have only found ways to decrease the weight of throws, not add over 100%. I am sure I am making it more difficult than it needs to be.

It would be a huge help if someone who has MultiWii 2.3 and Companion9x running on quadcopter could share their eeprom with me, or let me see their mixes page so I will have a better idea of how to program all my desired modes. I would also really love to see someone's MultiWii 2.3 GUI with their flight mode setup, for comparison.

I will give a brief description of how I want my setup to be ultimately, maybe someone with more experience could guide me in C9X to make this happen:
Flight mode switch (SG 3 pos): Low - Attitude auto level / Mid - Acro / High - Horizon *If possible, I'd like just Attitude mode to have dumbed down stick inputs, like a beginner mode for the most stable flights. (75% weights?)
Second Flight mode switch (SE 3 pos): Low - Nothing (just mag I suppose?) / Mid - Headfree (for giggles) / High - GPS ALT Hold
Return to Home / Failsafe (SF 2 pos): Low - Nothing / High - Return to Home (Launch)

I would also like RTH to be activated if my Transmitter is powered off.

Here is a screen capture of my current MultiWii 2.3 setup. Channel 6 did not want to play nice for me, so I used 7 and 8 for modes. Sats connected right after I took the screen cap :)
View attachment 18095

Thank you for the feedback and support!

Attachments

• MW2.3 GUI.jpg
    MW2.3 GUI.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 327
Last edited by a moderator:

StonedLlama

Spinny Side Up
Build Update!

Ok fellas, time for a major build update! Here is my up to date build sheet, with parts and research links: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qEV0lTbWkm7wlAUKEOVeXszXyfQaslDTPBFDIrf95lc/edit#gid=0

I have almost ironed out everything on the Night Ninja, including GPS extension and a removable gimbal/leg solution. My battery collection is growing, as is my flight time behind the sticks and my YouTube channel is getting a lot of love recently!

I will include what pictures I have and some videos from my recent exploits. I have rebuilt the entire quad a handful of times now, replaced 2 arms, a ton of props, and practically destroyed my Immersion 600mw TX SMA connector. For the time being, my FPV will be on hiatus until I can repair or replace the TX. However unfortunate, this has given me time work on other things like my gimbal setup and GPS mounting. My UBlox 6M is now above all carbon props and flight gear, with a clear 180 degree line of sight to the horizon, which should drastically improve my Sat lock and Position Hold reliability. Still need to do further testing with Return to Home/Failsafe...

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

The missing channel plug is for the tilt control of my gimbal, and the mount is 3M'd on as well as ziptied. Although I do not have a picture, the GoPro clip portion was easily epoxied onto the upper isolation plate for my gimbal, making it a simple clip on procedure to have perfectly stabilized 4k video, controllable by an App!

Here are some of my latest videos:

Gimbal Test: <a href="http://youtu.be/CD3Yp3iBmrY" target="_blank">

Hero 3+ Footage, without gimbal: <a href="http://youtu.be/qvYTgOvBPLM" target="_blank">

Hero1 Footage of Coyote Point: <a href="http://youtu.be/lCHm9b3MvMQ" target="_blank">

Hero1 FPV at Stinson Beach: <a href="http://youtu.be/UVqOnmcfYqU" target="_blank">

Hero1 FPV at the Grand Canyon (Parking Lot): <a href="http://youtu.be/JgymAruBUIA?list=UUjz3UPbtAYIY3A9AtSrgelw" target="_blank">

I have the following landing skids on order:
attachment.php

I plan on attaching these to some part of my gimbal plate, to make them also removable by the GoPro Quick Clip I have mounted. This will allow me to quickly unplug 2 connections, and un-clip my legs and gimbal assembly all at once, to regain my acrobatic flight characteristics. If I play it right, I can mount them to the lower plate, so I will have vibration isolated landing skids!

Once the final setup is complete, I will take a video of the entire quad and all of its features. Until then...

Attachments

• IMG_20140917_202315.jpg
    IMG_20140917_202315.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_20140917_202211.jpg
    IMG_20140917_202211.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_20140917_202519.jpg
    IMG_20140917_202519.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_20140917_202559.jpg
    IMG_20140917_202559.jpg