Live Footage Stream to HDMI / SDI with Phantom 2 and Hero 3

CK.

Hello all!

I am currently in the market for a quadcopter, and one of the things that I am looking at doing is to receive a clean HD video stream live from the camera (just like an FPV monitor), but be able to output to HDMI (edit: or even HD-SDI would be good!), to go into an ATEM vision mixer for a live broadcast at some events that we will be covering.

I've had a look online but I'm struggling to find anything appropriate for what I want. Ultimately I really like the Phantom 2 with the H3-3D gimbal for the GoPro Hero 3, and I can see that there are masses of 2.4GHz (or even 5.8) tx / rx combos out there.. but really, I'm looking to put it into a splitter and output it to the monitor for FPV viewing, but also the option to output clean HDMI feed to the ATEM.

Have any of you guys done a similar set up in the past? Am I going in the right direction? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris.

Tahoe Ed

I demoed the Lightbridge at NAB. I does work, however, it will only output 720p currently and the engineers are working on 1080p at 30 fps. Right now I don't think that it is robust enough for professional use.

jondrew

Agree Lightbridge seems to be the solution you want. Unfortunately it appears not to be ready for prime time yet for your application.Just out of curiosity, what is your budget? You're down in the $2000 to $3000 "flying camera" space with the Phantom. If this is a professional application and you have a thicker wallet, you might be able to find a more robust video link that operates on a larger platform (something in the 800 to 1000 size). If not, depending on you're crew size, you could just fly the Phantom for 5 or 10 minutes, land, download the 1080 video from the GoPro and stream that into your coverage. Obviously there would be a time lag, but if you're covering a concert or something where the band is playing for an hour or two you might be able to pull it off.