Legal Video Transmitters Canada...

avmedia123

Hello. For those of you in Canada that are doing aerial photography or video for commercial purposes, have any of you ran into any problems when describing video downlink equipment for you Special Flight Operations Certificate from Transport Canada?

I have been doing aerial photography this whole summer on an extended SFOC from Transport Canada wherein it listed that I was using a 910mhz video downlink. I had no problems obtaining the extended SFOC with this information included in my application.

Now I hear of some people that are having problems obtaining an SFOC due to the fact that their video transmitters are over 25mw, not FCC approved, they have no ham license etc. etc. I have tried to find a list of approved transmitters but have not been able to find any.

If anyone has dealt with this and found a solution please let me know! We have been approved till the end of this year, but as we are purchasing some new helicopters and video downlink equipment for next year I want to make sure that we won't be running into troubles getting an SFOC for next year just because of a video downlink that is not approved/will not be approved. I have emailed Transport Canada with these questions but have not yet received a reply...

And one more question. Does anyone know what kind of range a 5.8GHz 25mw system would give? We never fly FPV, and are usually about 300 feet up. Would the 25mw system be enough?

kloner

Aerial DP
youd be best asking trappy at team blacksheep about the 25mv 5.8 vtx... he's very familliar with it, if he's talkin

But I don't think it would work, if it's not IC approved it won't qualify for an SOFC application. Avmedia, I am in the same situation and am trying to come up with the right solutions. There might be a couple of options, I have been in touch with IC about them. give me a PM as I would also like to know about your experience with getting an SOFC,
cheers
FB

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I've bought from NG Hobbies a few times. Solid shop. Good service. I ordered 12 props for an Octo, tested 2 and decided they weren't going to work, he let me return the other 10 unopened and I bought 12 of another type. Good guy.

Also, I've heard that you could legally use any Wireless IP webcam. Just an idea.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Hey Guys,

Help me understand. 5.8Ghz under 25mW may still not be legal? How so?

Secondly,
Where is a good place to apply for UAV insurance in Canada?

Macsgrafs

Hey Guys,

Help me understand. 5.8Ghz under 25mW may still not be legal? How so?

Secondly,
Where is a good place to apply for UAV insurance in Canada?

Cant help with the insurance, but the 5.8GHz transmitter is part of the amatuer band, you will need a ham radio license.....it's a test on licensing conditions etc, you will have no problems passing if you read carefully.

Ross

kloner

Aerial DP
but this specific post is about using a video tx and getting a permit to film in canada..... the anything not approved isn't passing is what these guys and the guys at nghobbies..... it's a different deal

flitelab

Pop me an email or PM, I have a couple contacts for UAV insurance. Not used them yet but got a ballpark quote.