LED Lighting

bluefin

Hi,

I want to add LED lighting to my rig and it will have 4-6 strips of lights. I was planning on powering them directly from the PDB which is powered by two 6s packs. Is there any reason why a separate 3s pack is advantageous over the primary flight packs?

Does anybody have suggestions for BEC that would work well in this application? Can any of the BECs hook into a radio channel so the lights could be controlled via the radio? I wan to keep this simple and I’m not trying to over engineer this.

Cheers

Old Man

The best reason for using a separate 3s battery for the lights is to avoid letting the smoke out. Check the lighting voltage requirements but I don't know of any that handle 6s voltage. Most are 12v. There are many BEC's on the market that can be used for reducing voltage to the lights. Simply check the range of the BEC for in and out voltage levels. The low side is often user adjustable. I prefer Castle products but less expensive stuff is plentiful. ReadyMade RC and GetFPV are reputable locations to buy from, or if you feel lucky you can search Amazon or Hobby King. You can make a radio control switch by using a cheap servo and building a contact arm on it. Plug the servo into an unused channel of the receiver that is two way switched, or program the end points of the channel to move the servo output arm into an "on-off, open-closed" position when working the control function.