LED Flashes red after one minute of flying

I am hoping someone can help. I just got my 3rd drone and am having a problem with flight times. Its a Storm 6 Hexacopter and I am using 2 2500mah 3s batteries. I start to fly and the LED flashes red after a minute and I have to land. When I put the batteries back on the charger and multimeter they are still fully charged. I am expecting 8 minutes of flight time.

Protection switch ON
1st level No Load 10.90v Loss 0.50v Loaded 10.40v
2nd level No Load 10.30v Loss 0.50v Loaded 9.80v

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi there,

Can you please post your first and second level voltage protection values for me? If you do that I may be able to help identify a problem.

Do you have an external battery voltage monitor that plugs in the balance port? If you do not I would order one they are dirt cheap! Then run a test. When the light comes on does the displayed voltage reflect that of your 1st level protection? The other thing is there may be a cold solder joint somewhere that is affecting the power. Trace the PMU unit (v2) / LED (lite) back to the power source and check that joint as well. When you try this update us and let us know how it's coming! We look forward to helping you out!

I will check that out voltage tomorrow. The funny thing about this situation is that my 1st Storm 6 did the same thing. Helipal sent me an entire new Storm 6 and I shipped the 1st one back. The only part that I kept form the 1st one was the GPS antenna. I don't know if I can have a defective antenna. Its just frustrating because the 1st 2 drones I had (Storm 4 and DJI Phantom I had zero problems with.

CdA D

Looks like the manual reads loss at about 0.3 per cell or 0.9 for a 3s. Try 0.9 and see what you get. Let us know.

So I did 2 flights today. I ran 2 batteries. One 2500mah and one 2800mah. With a 0.90v loss setting it flew for just over a minute. I then checked the volts of the batteries with a multimeter. The 2800mah had 12.3v and the 2500mah had 10.4ish. It makes me believe that the problem is with the battery parallel cable as I found crappy solder and one of the grounds not fully soldered. I then did a single battery flight with 3 separate batteries. I got anywhere from 3.5 to just over 4 minutes with each. I also was running the tarot 2d gimbal. I will re solder the parallel cable tonight and try a 2 battery flight and see what happens and hope this is the problem Can you guys also tell me if these flight times are what should be accepted? Heli pal is telling me with my setup and 2 2500mah lipos I should get 8 minutes. Any other suggestion for longer and more efficient flights times are appreciated.

I got to the bottom of it. Seems that one of the male Deans connector on the parallel cable is not fitting tightly into one of my batteries. After putting a little solder on the tab that provided a tighter fit I got a 9 minute flight in. It was just hovering but it was the longest one I got so far. I am not changing everything over to XT60 connectors. Thanks for the help.

CdA D

You have good money and time into your aircraft use a good connector. I've heard others say that the Deans have a problem. Since your going to re-solider your connectors use a better one. To avoid a possible problem with the Deans. If your solider connections are weak use a hotter iron.