learn to fly strategy

wde2

I am planning to fly a cinnestar hex in a couple of months. In the meantime I need to learn to fly!

I am looking for comments and suggestions on my proposed strategy:

1) watch a lot of utube lessons on how to fly quads.

2) develop my skills with a $64 Air-Hogs Helix X4 (ignoring stunt button). (will the airhog be sufficiently similar to a hex?)

3) perhaps invest in some flight simulation software.

I want to make sure I don't learn bad habits while training on lesser technology.

Thanks,
David

jbrumberg

David- read everything recently posted in the Newbee areas about this. In a way the "lesser" technology is a better trainer because it demands more from the pilot. A 3 axis stabilized quad generally requires more Tx stick input than a 6 axis stabilized controlled quad. A 3 axis stabilized "toy" grade quad paired with a decent programmable Tx will amaze you with what the "toy" can do. And you can go even cheaper than $64 if you choose. Wreck those cheap quads while you are taking off on your learning curve flying The Tx sticks controls still will operate basically the same regardless of what the pilot is piloting. A very strong suggestion here, and I'll basically quote someone far more experienced than I on this matter as it relates to Tx's: "Buy smart, buy once". Your Tx kind of sets your destiny. The more channels the better IMHO. Good luck. Jay

tombrown1

Flight simulator and cheap quad are all you need. Once you can fly the quad in circles around you while nose-in you are as good as you ever need to be.

I think there are free flight sims out there. And the sim isn't necessary depending on how much you're willing to wreck your quad.

jbrumberg

Tom- I agree, but there are not of quad models modelled on flight simulators to my knowledge. A small CP heli like the mcpx which is commonly modelled on a a lot of flight simulators approximates a quad relatively well if one ignores the 3D stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

tombrown1

There are sims for Android and iOs that look pretty cheap. You don't need your exact model. And again the sim isn't really necessary, it'll just save you having to buy a few extra props for your quad.

Learn your quad slowly and methodically. Start by outlining a box pointed one way - then do the box pointing a different way - then do the box pointing a different way for each leg of the box, etc... slowly work your way up though. Flying a crappy quad is MUCH harder than the Cinestar you will buy. You'll be amazed how easy it is to fly the Cinestar. But learning on the cheap quad is a necessity. If the GPS on your Cinestar craps out in mid-flight because of a solar flare, you better know how to fly manually.

jbrumberg

"If the GPS on your Cinestar craps out in mid-flight because of a solar flare, you better know how to fly manually."

Tom- may I quote you?

jfro

Aerial Fun
I am planning to fly a cinnestar hex in a couple of months. In the meantime I need to learn to fly!

I am looking for comments and suggestions on my proposed strategy:

1) watch a lot of utube lessons on how to fly quads.

2) develop my skills with a $64 Air-Hogs Helix X4 (ignoring stunt button). (will the airhog be sufficiently similar to a hex?)

3) perhaps invest in some flight simulation software.

I want to make sure I don't learn bad habits while training on lesser technology.

Thanks,
David

I was in the exact same spot 14 months ago. I built a 12 lb x8 for my first build because I was in a hurry. While building, I spent time on a flight simulator using my Futaba 8fg that I bought for my x8. I think the flight sim was around $100.

It worked. I broke a few props, but didn't have any major crashes.

After a few months, my flight controller died and while trying to get that sorted out, I built a little 450 with tiger motors with a small go pro gimbal.

Have to say, I wish I had done that first. I've had many more hours of flying with the f450 using the same 8 batteries I have for the x8. About 28 min total flying time on 8 batteries on x8, and about 90-100 minutes on the f450 w/ gimbal and almost 2 hrs without. The longer flight times increased experience and also it was less stressful. ]

I'd say, go get a small quad & simulator and go to it. Buy something like naza or xAircraft Superx that is ultra simple to set up. Spend you time in the air, not messing with hardware. You will enjoy that cinestar tons more if you do....

jbrumberg

I agree. The simpler and cheaper the better in the beginning. I am living proof that one can buy prudently- decent stuff, but cheaper stuff, but still learn rich; and still have a couple of bucks in the pocket for really good RC stuff when really ready and able to fly and use safely.

Last edited by a moderator:

tombrown1

"If the GPS on your Cinestar craps out in mid-flight because of a solar flare, you better know how to fly manually."

Tom- may I quote you?

Not sure what this means. GPS on these things have had many problems and can be at times unreliable - for a variety of reasons. Many pros refuse to use GPS at all - always flying manually. I always fly GPS, but I'm constantly ready to switch to manual mode if something goes awry. I've made the switch a few times when I noticed some strange drifting behavior. Not an issue with you - you're learning the right way with a cheap quad. You'll be fine.

jbrumberg

Tom, I am in agreement with you. I liked the way you stated it. The unexpected flight experience. A lot of people put their faith in "flying by the wire" (GPS dependency or self leveling or whatever). They depend on it; they can not fly without the "wire" and when it (the "'wire") fails for whatever reason(s) they "die by the wire". When all the programmed in flying fails- having previous manual flying experience "learning the right way with a cheap quad" as you stated is your only and last hope. I agree.