Latest Flight testing of CARVEC Brushless Gimbal Controller & Photohigher AV200IDD

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
After waiting for the weather Igot out and flew the new Photohigher AV200 IDD gimbal. The Carvec 3 Axis G-LOCK controller and brushless modules really work well. The indirect drive system on the new AV200 makes the gimbal a real dream to use. Reducing motor sizes and weight significantly I am reckoning that this is a game changer. Both the AV200IDD and the BLD controllers used in the last few weeks testing are prototypes.

The production AV200 IDD arrived this morning with the Production BLD's on there way. Cant weight to build up and fly the production models.

Half way through the clip you will see the phone mast jumping when I was yawing clockwise - this is caused by the maximum tilt restriction pins we put on the gimbal NOT the controller. I was pitched over at 35º. The pins are set at 30º

Pics to come of the AV200IDD

Dave

Nothing taken away and nothing added!

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Here are some pics of the AV200IDD

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

NeilM

Untill I build my first unit I wont have questions till it happens. I did buy the P&S gimbal, start small then go from their, it does not look like my DSLR will fit in it, about 1cm short, so will expand from their once I know what kind of power my quad will have :)

Zaidy

Hi Dave
Thanks for the video. A couple of questions for you if you don't mind.
How easy is it to balance / calibrate for different cameras , lenses, filters etc ....?
How much does the gimbal weigh ?
The total cost ?
Are you able to activated the shutter/record via the TX, if so how did you go about achieving this ?

Cheers
Zaid

Is this the brush less upgrade that PH is selling? Or is this whole new gimbal? I have the AV200 and will probably end up spending the coin on the other gimbal this year. I could save a couple mortgage payments if this is an upgrade.

I was so excited I had to pull over to watch the video... looks promising! Horizon looks solid which is my biggest complaint about the skyline/av200 combo

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
@ Zaid

Not to nad actually. John has listened to none technics like me and even added a tuning function that moves the gimbal in the access u ate tuning so you don't get arm ache ding it yourself. The whole idea bbehind the project is to make a dipository of used settings that anyone can jump in and grab a proven config for there set up.

Once you have your gimbal tune to a bardic config it's really easy to swap lenses etc and not loose performance.

More videos to come as I live and learn.

Hopefully by weekend I will have full production versions go the G-lock system so can start the video tutorials of my set up.

Really looking forward to sharing this 1 because it works and does not cost the earth and 2 it's British and developed by JC who was flying single rotor helies autonomously over a decade ago. Way way before the likes of DJI ace one existed.

Dave

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
@ ECJ

Yes the Av200IDD is an upgrade available for servo AV200 gimbals from photo higher dealers like KopterWorx and others as well as ph directly. The Carvec GLock system is sold by carvec.co.uk

Anyone with a signal Radian can upgrade it to a three Axis unit via the Carvec firmware upgrade which then will control theBLD driver units. The Signal master is another revolution in multipilot control.

Dave

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I was so excited I had to pull over to watch the video... looks promising! Horizon looks solid which is my biggest complaint about the skyline/av200 combo
This is a worlds away form the skyline.
U could say it's not like anything we have seen yet. The full potential of the Carvec system as we see it now is just the tip,of the iceberg.

Dave

Zaidy

@ Zaid

Not to nad actually. John has listened to none technics like me and even added a tuning function that moves the gimbal in the access u ate tuning so you don't get arm ache ding it yourself. The whole idea bbehind the project is to make a dipository of used settings that anyone can jump in and grab a proven config for there set up.

Once you have your gimbal tune to a bardic config it's really easy to swap lenses etc and not loose performance.

More videos to come as I live and learn.

Hopefully by weekend I will have full production versions go the G-lock system so can start the video tutorials of my set up.

Really looking forward to sharing this 1 because it works and does not cost the earth and 2 it's British and developed by JC who was flying single rotor helies autonomously over a decade ago. Way way before the likes of DJI ace one existed.

Dave

following with interest and look forward to the updates.

Cheers

Zaid

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
@ Zaid. Did not answer all your question the other night for some reason so here we go

AV200IDD with motors 1180g ish

Cost of three Axis is on PH website http://www.photohigher.co.nz/produc...ete-brushless-av200-gimbals/av200-idd-2-axes/

Carvec G-LOCK. You need a Radian to convert to G-LOCK. i just bought two for £145 each which I think is a not bad price (anyone selling them cheaper let me know)

The firmware upgrade is on offer right now on www.carvec.co.uk as well as the BLD's

Tuning is made easier by the tuning window and the tuning mode. As to how it compares I could not comment as this is the first brushless system I have felt compelled to try.

You have a programmable channel on the G-LOCK converted radian to allocate as a trigger for the second operator. With the signal master the whole world is your oyster. You can even hand over the flight controller to multiple pilots.. but thats another thread to come soon.

Any more questions please feel free to ask. Where are you in North Wales?

Dave

Zaidy

@ Zaid. Did not answer all your question the other night for some reason so here we go

AV200IDD with motors 1180g ish

Cost of three Axis is on PH website http://www.photohigher.co.nz/produc...ete-brushless-av200-gimbals/av200-idd-2-axes/

Carvec G-LOCK. You need a Radian to convert to G-LOCK. i just bought two for £145 each which I think is a not bad price (anyone selling them cheaper let me know)

The firmware upgrade is on offer right now on www.carvec.co.uk as well as the BLD's

Tuning is made easier by the tuning window and the tuning mode. As to how it compares I could not comment as this is the first brushless system I have felt compelled to try.

You have a programmable channel on the G-LOCK converted radian to allocate as a trigger for the second operator. With the signal master the whole world is your oyster. You can even hand over the flight controller to multiple pilots.. but thats another thread to come soon.

Any more questions please feel free to ask. Where are you in North Wales?

Dave

Hi Dave,

many thanks for the comprehensive answers, I will need to do some research !
I live in Rhos, near Colwyn Bay. How about you Dave?

Cheers
Zaid

sk8brd

looks good- nice horizon hold but there is a lot of jello. Was that a result of the craft or the gimbal?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
That was probably a bit of everything as its all a prototype set up. The full production kit is sat on my workbench. Not sure what the jello was at the end but this is also one of the first flights I have done with GH3.

The thing is the brushless controllers can be fitted to anything not just the AV200

Dave

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Dave,

many thanks for the comprehensive answers, I will need to do some research !
I live in Rhos, near Colwyn Bay. How about you Dave?

Cheers
Zaid

Southport so just a hope over a couple of rivers!

If you need anymore info just ask and I will try and answer or get the answers

Dave

Droider

Drone Enthusiast

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 632
  • IMG_0010.jpg