Kelly Slater creats perfect man made wave

Old Man

I can't really put it into words, incredible is a massive understatement. I've indirectly followed Slater's career since he was a young kid in Florida, and of all the professional surfers he has now captured the pinnacle of success over all that have gone before or after him. The guy that completely re-wrote the book on backside tube riding has managed to create a wave that has power and shape far beyond just a little corner of it where the water is pushed by the wave generator. Dubai has a pretty impressive wave pool but nothing like this. Slater's development has the tube and enough "down the line" power and shape to allow getting ahead of the tube for vertical and turning maneuvers without losing the wave. His legacy of so many World Surfing Champion titles has just been eclipsed by his creation. Nobody in Pro surfing has even come close to this accomplishment, where they've been content to retire and open surf shops making a brand name board or become window dressing for surf magazines and sportswear companies.

Well Done!

rupP

Wow!
I've been surfing in the UK for 40 years and can count conditions that create a wave of this quality on the fingers of one hand!

SamaraMedia

I've tried a couple summers to to get vertical on a surfboard with limited success but have always admired the skill the surfers in NE display in the hurricane season and winter when swells can be overhead and beyond in frigid conditions so anytime I see great surfing vid I get excited. As a photojournalist I enjoy capturing the beauty of the sport. For the past six years I've vacationed in RI and taken by UAV's out to Point Judith at sunrise to film some of the action.(Damn GoPro fisheye - thought I was in medium FOV - NOT!) Combo footage from TBS Disco Pro and P2 GoPro Hero3

Slater has been a pioneer in technique and moving surfing into the next century like Liard Hamilton and the crew at JAWS for tow-in surfing did. Amazing that they have been able to keep this under wraps for a decade while perfecting the technology, kudos!

Old Man

First chance you get make a trip to La Jolla in So Cal when a big south is hitting in the middle to late fall. That's when the hurricanes slam Baja and pump some nice size into California while the air is still warm. Or wait for January through March and head up to Lincoln City, Oregon to check out the 20'+ stuff that rolls through with some real cold water, regularly. I spent over 30 years in a love affair with the sea but moved to a location that made the trips too arduous to continue the affair. Keep at it, one step at a time; belly, knees, one knee and a foot, two feet. It takes a while to put together. Use the white water as your starting ground, not a swell or wave.