Jittery Motor = "Bad" ESC?

Bishop

Hey all, total newbie to the MR scene, but have been combing the forums for months (everyone here is great, thanks you all for your contributions!), building my first MR, and have hit a snag maybe someone has an answer to.

Here are the relevant specs for reference:

After some quick troubleshooting (swapping around other ESCs, motors, and flight controller ports) I have isolated that one of my ESCs is malfunctioning for some reason. It causes whatever motor I have hooked into it to spin harshly and erratic or "jittery" (like the coils are firing out of phase or something). Because this is my first MR build, I am mostly unfamiliar with the specific components and programming of ESCs, so beyond replacing the ESC my options are limited unless this is an issue you guys are familiar with. I am a programmer professionally and have experience working with microcontrollers but there is no documentation out there on my specific ESCs, and I was not able to get these instructions to work.

There are some speculative comments out there about the standard quality of RCtimer components which I certainly understand, but as this is my first MR, cost was a factor and I am still quite happy with what I have for the price. The build otherwise went together perfectly, and all other components work flawlessly (so far!).

Ideas?

soler

Hey all, total newbie to the MR scene, but have been combing the forums for months (everyone here is great, thanks you all for your contributions!), building my first MR, and have hit a snag maybe someone has an answer to.

Here are the relevant specs for reference:

After some quick troubleshooting (swapping around other ESCs, motors, and flight controller ports) I have isolated that one of my ESCs is malfunctioning for some reason. It causes whatever motor I have hooked into it to spin harshly and erratic or "jittery" (like the coils are firing out of phase or something). Because this is my first MR build, I am mostly unfamiliar with the specific components and programming of ESCs, so beyond replacing the ESC my options are limited unless this is an issue you guys are familiar with. I am a programmer professionally and have experience working with microcontrollers but there is no documentation out there on my specific ESCs, and I was not able to get these instructions to work.

There are some speculative comments out there about the standard quality of RCtimer components which I certainly understand, but as this is my first MR, cost was a factor and I am still quite happy with what I have for the price. The build otherwise went together perfectly, and all other components work flawlessly (so far!).

Ideas?

Hi and Welcome,

I had a similar issue but this was due to the motors, I moved by DJI motors to a new airframe but the screws were too long and shorted out the coils on the motors causing the same effect. If you are 100% sure that this is only coming from one ESC the best way is to replace it. There is a way to reprogram some ESC but I have not tried this and it may not solve your problem.

Just to check you did calibrate all of your ESC's before use?

Thanks

Andy

Bishop

Thanks Andy! I realize it may be nitpicky to try and troubleshoot a $10 part, it's just a bummer to halt my first build because of a single component. All of my motors work fine with any of the other ESCs, and all of them malfunction with the bad ESC so I'm reasonably confident its not a short or a bearing or something in any particular motor.

I was and am still able to calibrate all the ESCs just fine, but it seems to have no effect on the malfunctioning one.