JEllo jello... and i just can't get rid of it!!! :(

hairball

Thanks to Chadfish for the video. I have wondered what Jello was. I have a GoPro2 and I see that effect also. I assumed it was EMF from the wires to the motors. I get it when I mount the camera out on a boom. I dont see it as much when I mount it on the gimble and it is much further from the booms. It seems that on most multirotors the ESCs are out on the booms nex to the motors and power and servo signals go out the boom but on my rig the ESCs are at the center and the high frequency wires run out the booms the motors. The 5D doesnt seem to suffer from this. I figured it was a difference in quality of equipment. I am intrigued by the filter as a solution.

Kinda related is a question I have about how many frames per second we should be shooting. I assumed that 60 would be better than 30. A friend who produces video advised me to stick with 30. It doesn’t make sense and I didn’t have the time with her to follow up and quiz her why. What do you think?

Chadfish

IMO 60fps is better. Not only because it does reduce jello a tad but at that frame rate you always have the option to play it back in slow motion smoothly. I think aerial video shots just look better in slow motion. I like the Hero3's ability to shoot at 720p120, which gives you the ability to play it back at 25% of original speed without looking jerky like 30fps footage slowed down. However, the Hero3 at 720p120 shows some aliasing in the image on straight lines like buildings and stuff like that. Anyway, you shoot at 60fps, and edit in a 30fps timeline. That way the playback is always 30fps whether you are in normal speed or slow motion. There aren't any players out there or YouYube or Vimeo that can play back at 60fps. In my case, using Final Cut Pro 7, I use "Cinema Tools" to conform the 60p footage to 30p, which makes it play natively at 30fps (slow motion). Then in the timeline I just speed the whole clip up to 200%, and at the point I want to go into slow motion I just take that part of the clip and set it to 100%. Other editors let you change the speed at will without "conforming" the clip. The main thing is to edit at 30fps (or 24) no matter how fast the frame rate is.

Here's another jello test I did with the Hero3 at 720p120, using the BlurFix3 and the ND4x. I got ZERO JELLO. It's cool to go to 1/4 speed that plays back smoothly, but like I said, you get aliasing on straight lines similar to the aliasing I get on the NEX-5n when I don't reduce the sharpening.Play it back at 720p for best results:

Last edited by a moderator: