I've searched for an answer... Does Futaba & DJI have a SBUS problem?

coreyperez

All,

I'm just getting started in MR and have a few of the parts on order. I was about to order my radio last night. When researching different radio/receiver options I fell upon some information that some of the Futaba RC equipment may have some issues working (SBUS) with the DJI Naza-M V2. I’m leaning towards the Futaba just because of the 8FGH upgrade to 14channel option. It seems like an awesome option. I’ve then started looking into the 14SG for the telemetry options. But there again it seems like there may be SBUS or even GPS issues.

When reading through I found some people were working around with moving the antenna (RX) to the exact 90deg angle, AND placing the GPS antenna at or above 10” above the antenna/MR Craft.
So, can anybody actually say STAY AWAY from these radios? I guess if it comes down to the cost, and if I opted to go to the 14SG, I could just open up to Spektrum/JR, etc.
Thanks for any insight you can offer. I’ve been searching this over for a couple days and cannot get a good “solid” answer. Seems like most of the other posts have died off months ago with no real resolution/solution posted.
Thanks,
Corey

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Well if anything, DJI are moving towards a Futaba system full stop. Look at the A2. So far it hasnt worked well with Spektrum at all. Using PPM is also not good news with DJI so it would seem.

coreyperez

So, with that you would believe it would be safe to go with a Futaba system? After my post I opened up my search and looked deeper into the JR & Spektrum. I had previously looked at the Turnigy 9XR but can only really order it from Hobby king. They don't openly support APO/AP address and seem to be VERY heavy into Chinese knock-off's anyway. So I opted against them for basically anything (after compiling 3days of research, and shopping cart building for all the parts I needed/wanted). I had hoped to do a one-stop shop but that didn't happen.

Back to the radio issue. I guess I'm still kind of lost with where I should be pointing my money towards. I'm gearing towards the larger channel systems so I will have longevity in equipment. (Cheaper to do it right the first time).

Corey

coreyperez

Well just as an update,
I couldn’t find anything definitive. I opted to get a Turnigy 9xr with two different modules. They have a few options and I was able to work out (a long duration and expensive) shipping method. I figured I’d better just get off my duff and get something moving. I’ll hopefully be able to upgrade at some point, it will be hard as I REALLY hate wasting money on duplicated parts, but my options are limited (and I get impatient) so I figured I’d go overkill and find a single “method” if you will that provided me options. Now I need to get onto ebay and find a compatible DSMX/DSM2 receiver.
Corey
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__31544__Turnigy_9XR_Transmitter_Mode_2_No_Module_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14349__FrSky_DJT_2_4Ghz_Combo_Pack_for_JR_w_Telemetry_Module_V8FR_II_RX.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=24656

Carapau

Hmmm looks like I'm a bit late in replying. In short, I would say that not only is Futaba safe it is probably the safest system of the ones you have listed to use with DJI. Caveat- I have not used Futaba, only Spektrum and Jeti. The Futaba v Spektrum debate is very much on a par with Mac (Futaba) v PC (Spektrum) argument. Given however that DJI seem to be moving directly into Futaba territory, this is probably the safest system to use, especially given Futaba's track record.

Turnigy certainly offer good products at great prices but QC can often be pretty hit and miss. You will probably get a unit that lasts for ages but there is a good chance that you may not. Once of the best bits of advice I have been given and have stuck to since I got into RC is that your TX is the one thing to throw your money at and invest in. Done correctly it will far outlive any model you have and given that it is the key link between you and the aircraft having good quality is likely to save you a lot of heartache in the future.

Clearly you have the funds for the Futaba given that it was in your shortlist. Personally I would be very tempted to cancel the Turnigy order and go with the Futaba. However if funds are tight then perhaps you have made a sensible choice, especially if you are not going 'pro' which I assume is the case. RC snob me? Possibly but I am a firm believer in that you get what you pay for and Futaba have one of the best track records going. The pilot aircraft link is just something that I don't like to take chances on but that's just me :)

coreyperez

Carapau,

100% agree. I’m a long range shooter and find it comical when I come upon a conversation where somebody says “Look at my 1500$ (or more) rifle, and my $150 optic…

I was a bit of turmoil over purchasing a good radio system. I even looked into the 14ch Futaba systems with telemetry and finally, when the bottom line came into view (with all the associated components of this entire build) it was just too large. Something had to give.

While EVERYTHING is essential, I had to find something that I could rob peter to pay paul (so to say). My thought process was that I’m planning on sticking with this (long term) and hope to eventually be professional status. (
www.lowaltitudeaerial.com) I’m entering this with the notion that I actually know very little about it.

I wanted components that I could expand upon, I ended up (I consider it a step down, it may not be) the DJI Naza-M V2 (gave up on the XAircraft SuperX unit) for the time being. Mainly to get a full up F550 (once again, gave up on a Tarot unit) just because I figure this is my entry point. I wanted a unit with a VERY LOW CG, not any landing gears to pivot/tip on. I figured when I get good enough I’ll then step up to the more professional level.

Being in Korea I’m at a disadvantage (shipping, costs associated with shipping, retailers not shipping to APOs, LiPo issues, etc). So, I know a shop or two locally that support the DJI group, so I went that route at this point. When I placed my initial order with Atlanta Hobby I opted for a full F550 kit, a spare frame kit (no electronics), x2 spare motors, x2 ESC, x2 pair of propellers, the full Naza w/gimbal kit. Researched and ordered the Server power supply (ordered from Ebay, x2 so I’ve got a spare). I nearly had to double up on everything that would put me down for a long duration to get the parts here. At that point, the radio was something that had to give. I don’t intend to fly distances, just “on site aerial videos” for my military unit here in Korea. Just to get my name out there and get started/learning.

So, long winded yes. I hope your still here. In the future I’m going to probably end up with the 880 (or a Tarot unit with the XAircraft). LOVE those frames. I figured by going with the 550, if I balled it up too many times I’d at least be able to step down to a quad and keep “learning”. If the radio becomes the weak point, I actually ordered two different modules and two different receivers. Just to “give it a try”. With the cost being as inexpensive as it was, I figured I’d be able to go that route.

With this I’ll get back to learning the joys of balancing and weight distribution. I would consider myself at an advantage because I’m actually a 1:1 scale rotary wing pilot and already see a couple things I could do to gain lift (moving the ESCs into the frame area vs. being in the downwash of the rotors).

Well off to cleaning my barracks room and drooling over more FPV videos… Someday ;)

Corey

Oh, I failed to mention. My spouse is 100% NOT ON BOARD with this. I'm lucky in that I have a full-up Axial XR10 (New in box, didn't sell yet) I was going to build (over Christmas) and 4PKS-R (just sold) that I got last year that I'm using to fund this!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Carapau

Can't fault your approach there at all- you are taking well considered steps and have what looks like a good development plan so to speak. Carry on like this and you will have a successful time with these machines. All the best to you.