I've finally bitten the bullet!

ROVguy

Yay, after hmm-ing and ahhh-ing ive finally bitten the bullet and ordered an f450 with Naza and GPS as my first multicopter.... my first rc aircraft excluding my little mqx. I was going to go for a TBS but after some good advice from Quadcopters I went for the smaller and cheaper starting point. I've not ordered any fpv gear as yet. But it won't be too long before I do I would imagine. Will get to grips with the LOS first and take it from there. I must say I cannot wait. Roll on this weekend! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kloner

Aerial DP
did they getcha all setup with a matching set of battery connectors? if this is your first gig, i highly recomend some lights of some kind. Really helps with learning orientation. Red lights can e seen in the middle of the day, the rest of the colors kinda wash out..... i used red on back, blue up front

araines2750

Hexa Crazy
Yep.
Lights are a must.
Orientation is difficult to determine without.
I have my front switched so i can turn them off when shooting video so at dusk they do not shine into the lens.

ROVguy

I'd thought to get lights later, but if its an issue I can easy get some next week. I like the idea of having them switched. I've still got to figure out getting a camera onboard for getting some video footage.

Tomstoy2

Do yourself a favor and cut off the motor & esc bullet connectors and solder on some standard bullet connectors, ( don't have rings ). Heat shrink over the connectors afterwards to prevent them from becoming disconnected afterwards.
There are just too many reports of these ringed connectors causing intermittent faults.

Bowley

Hey Rich, good luck with it, I never used this on my 330 or 450 but I should, have you seen the Gaui 330 with the ball on a straw thing, its great for orientation, its about 3 quid. So easy to lose orientation on these symmetrical machines, the white & black means not a lot when your up high or far away.

Razzil

What Transmitter are you using ... Spektrum, Futaba?
I know that setting up the various modes put me in a loop for a short stint.
Easy to setup now ... now that I know how.
Using a Spektrum.

ROVguy

I'm going for a Futaba 8FG with R6208SB receiver, im away to the store tomorrow to get it. Parts wise, I'm very much expecting the need for plenty of parts, but until I know what I will be breaking most often, I won't waste money on masses of parts that I possibly don't need.

ROVguy

Steve, I think I will end up going for lights, the ball on a stick option just doesn't sit right with me. By the way, I'm loving the MQX, it's given me a fair idea what I'm letting myself in for, I definitely need to practice practice practice!

ROVguy

Tomstoy2 I'm gonna do a little research into connectors and see which I find most appropriate for me. There's tonnes out there I am sure I will find one that suits. I will post what I end up with and give me thoughts.

ROVguy

Yeah, those I did order extra of, DJI ones in the first instance, but I will get Graupners once I've got more experience.

kloner

Aerial DP
get a shop that sells apc till your ready to step up..... those dji ones are nothing but trouble

Tomstoy2

The most effective is to solder directly to the leads from the esc, however, if a motor or esc fail then cutting is required.

I use 3mm standard gold coated bullet connectors, Your hobby store probably has plenty of them.

As I said, just heat shrink over them when you have the motor rotation set correctly. Cheap insurance.

Pelted

Congrats on the bullet biting. My NAZA arrived at my office today along with some APC and Graupner props. Even a few extra DJI arms. (Thanks to rediculously fast service from gothelirc. Now all I need is motors ESC and the rest of the dang frame from TBS and HK. Lights are a big deal I would agree just from past flying even with air planes many years ago. superbrightleds has some interesting surface mount singles that I've ordered called "Little Dot SMD LED Accent Light." I'm not sure how bright yet, but I'll report back as soon as I get a chance to test them.

I look forward to reading your posts as you get in the air.

ROVguy

Mine has just been dispatched today, hopefully it will arrive tomorrow or Friday. I'm going to head to a local store to pick up some lights and a lipo buzzer... I forgot to add them to my order.