It's alive!!!!

I know most of you built your multi's from scratch and this is not a big deal, but for me, it was an epic moment, and will surely stand as a pinnacle in my relation with multirotors....

I bought a xy-8 setup, and promptly, through admittedly my own incompetence, fried one of the ESC's. I live in Dubai where nothing is available and everything takes forever to get. (I will not begin to regale you with the adventurous tale of trying to find desoldering braid or solder smaller than 1mm here...) So I finally got all the components in place, watched enough youtube videos to have at least one extra helping of confidence in my new abilities, and worked my way down to the power distribution board.

Everything looked so much easier on the videos, and apparently good soldering is a skill not acquired through watching, but in the end I had the new ESC physically attached, and everything else tossed back on top.

Plugged in the battery... green lights all around...flipped on the JR... start up the motors and... SUCCESS.

Again, I know, woo hoo for me who gives a flip, but seriously, with this strip down, build back up, (and most importantly it still working afterwards) I feel like I have gained much more depth in my approach to the machine than when I was just looking for an off the shelf solution.

I imagine this will be the first of many such repairs, and the rest will be considerably less enlightening and much more verbally offensive, but for now, I will sit back and enjoy the fruits of my labor. This comes just in time for me to leave the country for another two weeks. Two weeks of waiting to finally get this beast in the air.

View attachment 12539

Attachments

• mk-1-2.jpg
    mk-1-2.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 316

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Good for you Eric, it's good that it's flying and it's great that you tackled a BL replacement on your own. Well done!

I'm pretty new to all this but that looks like a job well done to me. Who's kit is that?

Very nice website too Eric. Look forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

I'm pretty new to all this but that looks like a job well done to me. Who's kit is that?

Very nice website too Eric. Look forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

Thanks HoverRound, the xy-8 is actually from this site's own Bartman. Solid build, great design.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
@Eric, with a solid BL repair performance in the bag, you're well prepared to do most anything else that will be required of you as a Mikrokopter user. you could learn to remove and replace blown circuit board components (SMD's, surface mounted devices) but it's not really worth the effort without a pretty serious background in electronics and electronics repair. replacing an SMD is one thing but understanding why it blew up is another and not always obvious thing. so it's usually going to be safer to replace blown boards than to try repairing them. but don't let me discourage you from trying if that's what floats your boat.

@FragileButAgile, the frames are very close to being ready for sale. I have everything in hand except the motor/esc mounts. Eric's frame is the Rev3 frame set but it will be the Rev4 frame that will be available in the shop. I actually have a Rev3 build that is virtually identical to Eric's that I use all the time in addition to a new Rev4 build that also has been flying a lot. The frame price is set to open at $790 with hardware for eight motors and a choice of arm lengths for 12", 14", or 16" max prop diameter. The frames at that price will include my quick-mount landing gear which have actually been developed for the portable version of the frame. They work very well up to about a 16 pound total weight heli so the decision was made to include them in all the standard kits. There will be shorter gear legs available for the FPV frames but those won't be available until after the standard frames are ready to go. The frames have been in development for almost two years with each revision seeing much use in my own aerial media ops. They fly great, are very well made, and are unique in that they don't have to be disassembled to fit into standard sized vehicles for travel. Everything will be available at www.aerdro.com.

Electro 2

Oh, and in a pinch, you can make your own desoldering braid from coaxial cable shield coated with flux. For small stuff use RG-174 as a donor wire. It has to be real high-coverage braid, no foil + low coverage cable.