Is size important.

DennyR

I suppose that the recently announced AR Drone 2 with internal HD camera and supposedly amazing quality will also turn a few heads. Everyone is going to be an aerial pro-shooter before long!!!! How can anyone compete against that price. It almost makes em a disposable item. 299 USD ready to go?

Last edited by a moderator:

ZAxis

Excellent. Best 10 minutes I've spent in a while.

Still a little confused as to how much computing is done actually on board the quadrotors and how much preprocessed data is supplied from the motion capture system or external operator.
Also if small size equals agility and agility equals stability then why has no one developed a CineFlex system small enough to fit an MR ?

andy

DennyR

The reason is simple, Cineflex is a five axis system which means that two of the axis are duplicated as an inner high sensitivity separate system. In our model that outer axis is the model itself. I have had such a system for the last two years but it is too expensive and heavy for model use. There is a way to replicate it and it will be available this year. I am not sure what patents it could violate but I will see when the time comes. What I can tell you is that the current trend in camera imu's are all going in the wrong direction. They will never be able to hold the required accuracy. They are based on the technology that is only used on an outer axis which ballparks the inner system. That is where they did something clever.

Cineflex weighs 67 lbs and that weight forms an anchor point from which the torque motors that run in air bearings can create a movement without a significant reverse motion.
The lighter the camera the easier it will be to replicate the system. The difference between a stable super wide angle shot and a fully zoomed 72X tele is a ten dollar bus ride. As things stand at the moment nobody is even close to achieving that with a model.
Cineflex is actually only a lens and a sensor, the rest of the camera and recorder resides inside the helicopter.

Last edited by a moderator: