Introducing a New Multirotor and Gimbal Products Manufacturer (Gearhead Machineworks)

I have posted this information in another location on these forums but really my post belongs in this section so forgive me for "spamming!".

Hello everyone. I want to introduce to everyone our company, Gearhead Machineworks. This is a division of our video services company Gearhead Flicks L.L.C. http://www.gearheadflicks.com
We have been designing and building our own ground based and aerial camera equipment for use in our video business for years, and realized one day "Hey these products are so good we really should sell this stuff". So, that is exactly what we are doing. We have been tooling up and establishing or production functions over the past year and are now finally ready to rock.

We are a small company based in Spring Texas USA. We are passionate about what we do and have a goal to provide something different to the market. We aim to provide PREMIUM products to the DIY multirotor and gimbal market along with actual product support and customer service. Since many products for this market are designed, manufactured, and supported from China it can be difficult at best to get the product support and customer service you need after you have spent hundreds, and in some cases thousands of dollars with a given company. Well, this will not happen at Gearhead Machineworks. We will not leave you out to dry. If you buy something from us we will do everything in our power to make sure you are happy and taken care of, post sale. Below is some info about the first product we just released. We have many products soon to be released. Please keep an eye @ our ebay store. The name of our store is gearheadmachineworks. Any questions please feel free to PM, post here, or email me at gearheadmachineworks@gmail.com.

Gearhead Machineworks W.A.S.P. 12 Motor Cage System
There is a revolution going on right now in camera stabilization systems. Brushless gimbal technology is taking over. With the right system, simply amazing performance is possible. Unfortunately, full systems capable of delivering quality footage cost exorbitant amounts of money. But, are they really worth these lofty prices? At Gearhead Machineworks our goal is to bring you the best products for your build at a fraction of the cost. We sell parts and assemblies which allow you to build up your own high end camera stabilization rig. We offer premium products for the DIY market. We thoroughly test our designs in our own gimbal systems. During design and development our engineering team communicates directly with our in house video crew. Each new design is handed to the video crew for testing. Field testing is performed and feedback communicated back to our engineers. This trial by fire approach to engineering results in unparalleled quality and performance for a price you can afford. We have the best designs on the market for your DIY project.

The W.A.S.P. 12 Motor Cage System is the same system we use in our gimbals. It has been through multiple design revisions and months of testing. The centerpiece of this system is an innovative outboard bearing support and super rigid aluminum motor cage design. The purpose is to eliminate flex under load and remove radial runout on the motor’s axis, commonly referred to as “slop”. Machine tolerances used in the mating parts are very tight and the structure itself is very rigid. These machine design characteristics are imperative to produce super smooth video, especially with heavy loads seen using 10-12 LB cameras. This motor support system mounts up to 25mm diameter tube. It is designed to house larger brushless motors. It accepts a number of different motor types. The motor cage has a max camera carry capacity of 12 LBS. The same motor mount system can be used on Pan, Roll, and Tilt axes by selecting which option fits your needs. Please check out our video services website too! Google "Gearheadflicks" to find our website.

W.A.S.P. 12 Motor Cage Feature List:

PRICE: $249.95
Made in the USA
Fit, finish, and overall build quality is outstanding
Super rigid CNC aluminum cage construction. Aluminum is much more rigid than carbon fiber in torsion and bending experienced by camera gimbals
Light weight
Unique design giving your rig a PRO look and PRO performance
Designed to mate quickly and easily to 25mm diameter carbon fiber tube
Innovative external bearing support keeps axis completely slop free
Easily install motor of your choice. Designed to fit a variety of large brushless gimbal motors (motor not included)
Includes a slot for passing the motor wires through the carbon fiber tube, hidden from view
Different options are available to fit your particular gimbal build configuration
Tapped holes x 3 located on the rear of the motor mount for affixing things, such as a controller board box or battery tray
Tool free single point balance adjustment thumb screw
High quality matte black anodized finish
All fasteners made of stainless steel for ultimate longevity and corrosion resistance

Technical Specifications:
Fits the following motors: iPower GBM8028-90T, iPower GBM8017-120T, T-motor GB85-1, Rctimer GBM8108 (New motors are coming out all the time. Contact us if you want to know if a motor not listed here will fit).
Motor rear mount hole requirement: 19mm - 43mm hole separation, 3mm screws x 4
Motor front mount hole requirement: 35mm hole separation, 3mm screws x 4
Motor Thickness (Depth) requirement: 26mm minimum to 28mm maximum with included hardware (thinner motors can be used with additional motor mount spacers)
Color: Black Anodized CNC Aluminum
Weight (W/O Motor): 235 Grams (8.29 oz) WITHOUT MOTOR
Weight capacity: 12 LB Max Camera Weight

Last edited by a moderator:

We also have options for connecting our cage for aerial video applications, multirotor and heli use. We have a third option that allows you to connected our gimbal's center hub to flat plate, such as a multirotor antivibration gimbal mount, or heli gimbal mount. In addition we offer a "tri-leg" multirotor landing gear upgrade which converts the pan cage to a landing gear setup. Below are some pics and CAD drawings. Any questions please feel free to PM me for more info!

'

Lastly, I want to mention that we have dozens of great products coming out. Our next release is specifically for the multirotor community. I can't show much since we need to keep it under wraps until we are ready...BUT lets just say that if you own a copter and it has 25mm diameter tubes that are not detachable and are not foldable our product will allow you to convert your bird into a quick release detach arm system! Or if you are looking into purchase of a new copter from someone but it doesn't have detachable arms our product will allow you to update it to a detach arm system. This product will work for ANY model of craft from ANY manufacturer as long as it has 25mm DIA tubes. We are nearing completion of our testing and marketing content for this product and plan to hold a PRE-RELEASE SALE. This sale will allow you to get in at a reduced price. The sale will only happen for a couple weeks and after that price goes back up to normal MSRP.

Our third product release will be a Heavy Lift Hexacopter frame with some features not seen anywhere else. And it won't cost an arm or a leg either. Maybe a pinky, but you get to keep your major limbs.

Last edited by a moderator:

ovdt

Wow, I'm impressed. I'm looking forward the release of this product!

Lastly, I want to mention that we have dozens of great products coming out. Our next release is specifically for the multirotor community. I can't show much since we need to keep it under wraps until we are ready...BUT lets just say that if you own a copter and it has 25mm diameter tubes that are not detachable and are not foldable our product will allow you to convert your bird into a quick release detach arm system! Or if you are looking into purchase of a new copter from someone but it doesn't have detachable arms our product will allow you to update it to a detach arm system. This product will work for ANY model of craft from ANY manufacturer as long as it has 25mm DIA tubes. We are nearing completion of our testing and marketing content for this product and plan to hold a PRE-RELEASE SALE. This sale will allow you to get in at a reduced price and will only be offered for 1 month.

Our third product release will be a Heavy Lift Hexacopter frame with some features not seen anywhere else. And it won't cost an arm or a leg either. Maybe a pinky, but you get to keep your major limbs.

We came across a review one of our customers did for our cage. He ended up using it for a yaw axis on a big heli. Its on ******** though :( This forum won't let me post it here :(

ovdt

We came across a review one of our customers did for our cage. He ended up using it for a yaw axis on a big heli. Its on ******** though :( This forum won't let me post it here :(

Neill,

While designing the foldable & detachable arm, is it possible for you to give an 8-9 degree upward inclination? This way, especially Cinestar style frames will catch the modern design. With this 8 degree inclination, descending is smoother than flat designs. And also the props will get into the frame lesser. Especially X8 setups will be get benefit from this.

Interesting thought. And very valid thinking. Providing an option to angle for props does have benefit for some applications. Not all will want this, but I do agree its worth including as an option. At this point I am not sure if we can capture on first product rollout, but we can sure try. I appreciate the suggestion and will begin brainstorming some ideas in CAD. There are a number of ways to "skin this cat".

ovdt

Thanks for the input Neill.

Recent frames that has this design is increasing: DJI S1000, S900, Foxtech K130 and D130 also has this kind of frame.

GryphonDynamics don't have upwards inclined arms but they have Z bended arms to prevent the propellers to get into the camera view.

http://gryphondynamics.co.kr/product/gd-x8-1400-folding-framexq1400fzx

Vulcan had this for a while.

X8 setups had this "propellers getting into to the shot" problem for a while when flying forward fast with wide angle lenses.

I would like to keep in touch with you while developing this product.

Thanks for the great info. We have been tracking those guys for a while. They are all good systems. The only downside I see to running the arms at an angle is a loss of efficiency. Since the thrust from the prop isn't directed straight down some of the lifting force is lost since its traveling in the "X" direction instead of the "-Z" direction. But, some users see this loss of lifting power as a fair trade for the advantages you get.

We will work to come up with an option for this. I am glad you suggested it. I will keep you updated on our progress!

Thanks for the input Neill.

Recent frames that has this design is increasing: DJI S1000, S900, Foxtech K130 and D130 also has this kind of frame.

GryphonDynamics don't have upwards inclined arms but they have Z bended arms to prevent the propellers to get into the camera view.

http://gryphondynamics.co.kr/product/gd-x8-1400-folding-framexq1400fzx

Vulcan had this for a while.

X8 setups had this "propellers getting into to the shot" problem for a while when flying forward fast with wide angle lenses.

I would like to keep in touch with you while developing this product.

UAS_JOBS

Be sure to post a company profile.. i will email you. also if you know people looking for work check out our career site... uas career central (you can do the math on the url)

Neill,

Any info on folding arm designs?

Hey bud! We are nearing completion of field testing for our Darth V.1 Quick Detachable Multirotor Arm System. We plan to run a Pre-release sale for this product for a few weeks before full release. Sorry this is taking so long but we are also in the middle of restructuring our business a bit too. This is slowing things down some right now but we are working through it. Our company name will change from Gearhead Machineworks to Catalyst Machineworks. Same great products but a new name.

I will post up a link to the pre-release sale soon. We are shooting for 3 weeks from now.