Interference

bogwan

I am in law enforcement and think that the use of UAS is the future. I went out and purchased a Phantom Vision 2+. I also purchased a Seek Thermal camera. I am connecting my cell phone via phantom wifi ysing Samsung SideSync to view the camera live. I did a test flight and lost control and crashed. I think the cell phone running the Seek app interfered with the compass causing the crash. I had the cell phone mounted to a gimbal guard directly under the camera. So my question is if the cell phone caused a compass issue where can i mount it to limit any interference? Thanks there is alot of great info here.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Hoki

Well how do u know u just didnt crash cause ur new to it if u r... flying drones takes some time to learn

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I am in law enforcement and think that the use of UAS is the future. I went out and purchased a Phantom Vision 2+. I also purchased a Seek Thermal camera. I am connecting my cell phone via phantom wifi ysing Samsung SideSync to view the camera live. I did a test flight and lost control and crashed. I think the cell phone running the Seek app interfered with the compass causing the crash. I had the cell phone mounted to a gimbal guard directly under the camera. So my question is if the cell phone caused a compass issue where can i mount it to limit any interference? Thanks there is alot of great info here.

Hey mate,

Welcome to the forum.

The Phantom Vision 2+ drone isn't really designed to carry any payload other than it's own camera. The use of other wifi signals close to the aircraft can cause unwanted behavior. I honestly don't think you should mount that camera to a Vision 2.

Had the aircraft been flying fine before you attached the thermal camera? Was this on your first flight with it? There is a learning curve at the beginning, but you've found this forum so we can help:) Had you setup the drone correctly as per the manual, as far as you can tell? Calibrate compass etc.

Many law enforcement agencies and the MOD here in the UK are adopting the DJI Inspire Pro as the preferred aircraft. It is very capable and a new thermal camera designed by FLIR has just been released for it. You can also add a zoom lens to it, making it perfect for your line of work.

The Phantom V2+ is the least capable of the DJI range. It uses 5.8GHz for the control frequency which severely limits range and offers no penetration of obstacles.

Hope some of this helps. You can ask any question on the forum. :)

fltundra

If you cell phone is like mine, they transmit on 2.4 and 5.8.

bogwan

Well how do u know u just didnt crash cause ur new to it if u r... flying drones takes some time to learn
Well because i did have several flights with no issues. I had gps lock and was hovering when she decided to just fly off.

bogwan

Hey mate,

Welcome to the forum.

The Phantom Vision 2+ drone isn't really designed to carry any payload other than it's own camera. The use of other wifi signals close to the aircraft can cause unwanted behavior. I honestly don't think you should mount that camera to a Vision 2.

Had the aircraft been flying fine before you attached the thermal camera? Was this on your first flight with it? There is a learning curve at the beginning, but you've found this forum so we can help:) Had you setup the drone correctly as per the manual, as far as you can tell? Calibrate compass etc.

Many law enforcement agencies and the MOD here in the UK are adopting the DJI Inspire Pro as the preferred aircraft. It is very capable and a new thermal camera designed by FLIR has just been released for it. You can also add a zoom lens to it, making it perfect for your line of work.

The Phantom V2+ is the least capable of the DJI range. It uses 5.8GHz for the control frequency which severely limits range and offers no penetration of obstacles.

Hope some of this helps. You can ask any question on the forum. :)
Thanks Benjamin Kenobi,
This was my 5 or 6 flight with her. I have always done the compass calibration and never had an issue. I think i had my cell phone to close to the compass as after the crash it says compass calibration required which leads me to believe that the phone messed with the compass.