Insurance?

Since my other thread spawled off topic and there are multiple people interested I thought I'd move the question over here:

People in the USA, what companies do you use for insurance? Personally I seem to find lots of places that provide liability coverage, but I'm having a harder time finding comprehensive coverage for the UAV and its payload (especially if the camera is rented)... anyone in business got tips? Is FAA exemption a requirement?

Pumpkinguy

I can tell you in Canada, not that you care lol. If you are operating without a SFOC (equivelent to 333) your insurance will be null and void. There are a few occasions where you would not need the SFOC but they are rare. In the middle of nowhere. Miles away from airports or anything bigger than a farmstead..

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Since my other thread spawled off topic and there are multiple people interested I thought I'd move the question over here:

People in the USA, what companies do you use for insurance? Personally I seem to find lots of places that provide liability coverage, but I'm having a harder time finding comprehensive coverage for the UAV and its payload (especially if the camera is rented)... anyone in business got tips? Is FAA exemption a requirement?

Transport Risk offers "full coverage" but be prepared to pay! A LOT....

scotth

I have multiple policies through different carriers. Hill&Usher have a nice liability policy but won't quote hull insurance. I have an inland marine with The Hartford that removes the drone exclusion and covers me for whatever with a nice high limit. If you work with companies like Disney, Discovery, etc you will also need higher liability limits plus provide proof of workers' comp, umbrella, etc. It adds up.. to a lot. And as I mentioned before, some companies quote hull insurance on a per aircraft basis, just like real airplanes. That REALLY adds up. Then of course if you don't have the 333 ticket you run the small but possible risk that the fine print will kick in if you have a claim.. that says you can't be doing anything illegal. Oh and a final note, if you do have a 333 and it doesn't specifically state you have approval to fly on a closed set, and you do, and you hurt someone.. be prepared to have the plaintiff attorneys run with that one.

Hmm, I have the Hartford for inland marine and workers comp etc, been trying to get them to remove the drone exclusion but they act like it aint possible. Maybe I need a more agressive broker.