ImmersionRC 5.8Ghz transmitter setup suggestions

nscheffer

Hi,

After the crash of my Gaui 500x with gu-ins, gu-osd and fpv with the Racewood 1,2Ghz system i lost everything.

I decided to move to Immersionrc with the v2 5.8Ghz transmitter and the Diversity from Immersionrc also.

I choose for the moment to equip both transmitter and receiver with Pinwheel antennas.

On the first manual test i have done I am very impress by the stability, quality, range by the whole system.

I have 2 questions to complete the setup on my brand new Gaui 500x :

- could someone advise regarding the position of the Pinwheel antenna on the Drone ? I would like to put it vertical but with the head on the bottom ! Any feedback ? The reason is to improve the range and quality in any situation during a flight.

- where could I find connector for the small one (5 pins also) on the opposite side regarding the large black connector ? I would like to use this one because the Gaui gu-osd use the same with a 6 pins version, same for the camera (3 pins version) I would build then a core fpv cable with small connectors for all.
Links url below described my old core fpv cable I built for the Racewood where I was already small connectors and add a sort of extension and adaptor cable for each device (camera, osd, etc...) I didn't need to change all cables each time :
http://drone.airboum.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/IMG_0660.jpg

Thanks in advance

Regards

Nicolas

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Tapatalk HD

rcpilot23

My 500X has the Immersion RC 600mW 5.8Ghx TX mounted on the back of the lipo facing backward and I have the cloverleaf antenna facing down.
works great

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Kloner, i need your help. this is the 3rd time I have purchased a vtx and rx for FPV and I can still not get more than 20' away without it cutting out. I only want this for LOS second person camera operation, nothing more. I got the new immersion 5.8 600mw tx and an uno rx. Using stock antennas. Firstly, how the hell do you change channels on the tx? there is heat shrink over the dips and under that is a film of sorts over the switches. it suggests they dont want you messing with it. but still, no antenna orientation should keep this from working under 100' I am using 3s on the rx a 2s for the rx.

View attachment 5177View attachment 5178View attachment 5179

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 499
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 398
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 627
Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
show me some pictures of how it's laid out. You should be able to get a long ways away with what you got. usually it is interference but them stock antennas suck hard. You need some rhcp type. if you want a discount style set that work, lmk. All the fpv videos i did last weekend was with the exact stuff you have, made it a mile interference free

Do me a favor if ya can and make a video of what the feed looks like as it starts sucking, i can tell if it's antennas or interference by the look

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
thanks dirtbag! :)

I actually had the blubeams on my last rig and I think I made it about 30' before all transmission broke. This is the 3rd time around, I am either extremely unlucky or doing something majorly wrong!

Also, I tried using this with the radio control off to make sure it wasnt interference from that. I dunno.

kloner

Aerial DP
it's something your consistently doingwrong most likely

if you want to see what it's got in it, hook it up totaly by itself and go check it out. vtx, cam and a battery, walk around, move stuff, etc.

Is all the problems on the ground on but not flying? have you tried hovering and seeing what it looks like?

kloner

Aerial DP
on the how to change the channel bit, i used a ball point pen. makes a line, but the pen slides the switch without breaking the seal, stretches a little. i use ch4, 5800mhz

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Ive tried different batteries, all channels. WHAT the hell am I doing wrong? Seriously, how can one have 3 sets of FPV stuff and not get more than 10' distance.

kloner

Aerial DP
are you standing out in front of the tip of the tx antenna? that is the null zone, try making them both point perfectly straight up or perfectly down or perfectly to there sides. make them horizontal or vertical polarized, no antenna tip to tip action

5.8 hates anything in it's way, even to the side like it is there. Can you un mount the vtx and lay it on the table without the chopper with it and see if it still screws with it if all else checks out

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I thought they were supposed to be one pointed staright down and the other straight up. I will try unmounting it but this is crazy I would think I could get half of what others are claiming to get on at least one of my setups! I see my friends have these cheapo chinese tx setups and tehy work no problem for LOS.

kloner

Aerial DP
also if that doesn't work, see if taking the monitor off the rx transmitter does anything. i think at one point you had your body between the two, no go, 5.8 don't do it

You need a really tall up cloverleaf to clear all that gimble and stuff down below, the interference from just being in the way is everywhere

Look how mine is mounted, it's up there for a reason

i.php

with 1.3 i can run it like this
002%20%281024x768%29_795.jpg

there super fickle about interference and them rubber duck antennas suck for junk like you got there

here was my very first attempt with immersion 5.8,,,,,,,, had rubber duck antennas

left is stock, right is rhcp, but not elevated yet like pictured above

kloner

Aerial DP
1 up and one down would work, it just has to stay that way. when your walking around, it looks like the antenna goes flat then your between them both. it has to be like a hummingbird you shoot with a bb gun, nothing in the way. the CF to the side and all the metal and stuff is most likely interferring.

if you continue, get this setup
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_34_44&products_id=1015
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_30_38&products_id=1018

the only thing stuff in the way messes with that is it shifts colors, not make junk. It is also preferred to use those rubber antennas that come with it. it's all lawmate everything, works with 2.4

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I still cant believe I cant go more than 10' no matter where the damn things are. i appreciate your efforts. I had the clover leafs last time and I wasnt able to get much further. When i had teh fatsharks with built in rx I could go maybe 1000' LOS. When I had the Stinger pro I could get about 20-30'. This just seems like a F'in joke to me now as I have had no luck. The fatshark test i did was in a cardboard box however, so maybe it does have to do with being mounted tot he frame. I have tried this on 3 different helis and still no dice. Ill try taking the tx off completely and see what happens.

thanks

kloner

Aerial DP
have you always tried the same camera with these systems? any other cams you can try? gopro can make interference

skivvie

I still cant believe I cant go more than 10' no matter where the damn things are. i appreciate your efforts. I had the clover leafs last time and I wasnt able to get much further. When i had teh fatsharks with built in rx I could go maybe 1000' LOS. When I had the Stinger pro I could get about 20-30'. This just seems like a F'in joke to me now as I have had no luck. The fatshark test i did was in a cardboard box however, so maybe it does have to do with being mounted tot he frame. I have tried this on 3 different helis and still no dice. Ill try taking the tx off completely and see what happens.

thanks

You live in the East Bay don't you? The entire Bay Area has to have insane amounts of RF pollution. I doubt that's your issue ... But could be.