If you lose a prop whats better a quad or a hex?

bensid54

Saw some videos and one of the crashes was a hex copter, it came down fairly level on manual mode which I surely would have crashed. Now can you control a quad to come to the ground level after losing one prop or is control just a memory at that point? If a hex can be controlled after a prop loss and a quad can't then I think I'll be converting my quad to a hex copter.

iceman

If a quad looses a prop all you can do is expect the worst and hope for the best (and thats no hope). Hex depends on flight controller and setup but can be controlled to a degree, all be it a controlled hard landing.

rcmike

X8 Octo! :D

Here are a couple of tests I did the other day because someone told me it wouldn't work.

One prop off.

Two props off.

When it was a flat octo I had an ESC die and the front prop stopped and I only noticed it when the prop stopped turning. It was fully loaded with a cinestar gimbal and a T4i at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

bensid54

I don't know if my Naza light can do an octo or even a Y6 for that matter. Looks like it's time to upgrade to a hex copter for more safety and stability.