iCharger 306B

SamaraMedia

Feeling rather incompetent these days...

Recently purchased a new charger, iCharger 306b which many have recommended, along with a HiTec E PowerBox 30A power supply to replace my Triton EQ which only goes up to 5000mah. For the life of me I can not get this charger to to complete a charge without getting an error message "Capacity Over Break Down".

I'm trying to charge 2-4 Sky-Lipo 5000 mah 6s batteries. I've tried it at a variety of c charge ratings (5-20) with no luck. I've read the manual but must be missing something. I've watched a bunch of videos on YouTube to get a better idea of if I am doing something wrong but I can't figure it out. Trying the charge on, Balance Charge, 5 amp C rating, 6s but keep getting this damn error. I have the power supple set to 18 v. I should be able to charge these things at 20 amp.

Having the same problem with some new MultiStar 10000 4s batteries. My brain is starting to hurt...

Attachments

• iCharger2.JPG
    iCharger2.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 262

fltundra

18 volts ain't going to work.

Maximum charge power capacity: 1000W (when >23V; 500W for 12V)
  • Input voltage range: 4.5-38V DC

SamaraMedia

• Input voltage range: 4.5-38V DC - Ok, so 18V from power supply falls within that range no? What do I need to do run it at 12V @ 500W?
  • Or do I need to get a power supply that outputs 24V?

Last edited by a moderator:

SamaraMedia

Problems with the 4s MultiStars too, it was the first time charging them. Read something in the box from BuddyRC that I should plug the battery in before plugging in the balance cable from the battery, I've been doing it opposite. Duh - maybe that's why I've been seeing a prompt on the screen "Main plug". They are a 10c discharge rated battery, can't find a charge rating on them but I'm assuming they are a low c rating.

Yes, I'm using the BuddyRC Parallel charging board.

So I'm going to need a 24V PS for the 6s aren't I?

fltundra

Have you tried charging the 4S at 1c without the parallel board directly to the charger?

"So I'm going to need a 24V PS for the 6s aren't I?"
Shouldn't be the case you will just be limited on max charge current.
If you want to be able to charge at max output of that charger you will need at least 50 amps at 24 volts.
View attachment 25507

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    263 KB · Views: 280
Last edited by a moderator:

SamaraMedia

Funny, I bought a couple power supplies about a year ago, not sure if they are the same ones, after reading a post from knoner on making a 24v power supply, they are still in the box they were shipped in. I get a little timid when it comes to possibly electrocuting myself if I mess up the grounding. He'll I'm having enough trouble with a purchased PS ;)

SamaraMedia

Have you tried charging the 4S at 1c without the parallel board directly to the charger?

"So I'm going to need a 24V PS for the 6s aren't I?"
Shouldn't be the case you will just be limited on max charge current.
If you want to be able to charge at max output of that charger you will need at least 50 amps at 24 volts.
View attachment 25507

So today I was able to successfully charge my 10000 4s Multistars at 1c - 10amp, 18v, one at a time putting in 4637mah in 39 min. If I wanted to try the parallel board the next time should I leave my amps at 10 or go to 20 since there are two batteries being charged?

Thanks for your help @fltundra

fltundra

If I wanted to try the parallel board the next time should I leave my amps at 10 or go to 20 since there are two batteries being charged?
Yes 20 amps with them in parallel will give you 1c charge rate, at 10 they would be getting .5c charge rate

SamaraMedia

That's what I thought, thanks for clearing that up for me. Will fly those batts tomorrow so I will try charging them afterward with the parallel board