Welcome To DroneVibes

DroneVibes is a COMMUNITY of drones enthusiasts. We are experts at drones for all professional and consumer applications. We welcome you to register and join the conversation.

I destroyed my homemade quadcopter from 200ft. Pieces everywhere.

Discussion in 'Recreational sUAS Flyers Discussions' started by photojunky, Jan 1, 2018.

1. photojunky

photojunky Member

May 3, 2016
    pacifica, California
    Posted by photojunky, Jan 1, 2018 #1
    I really screwed up this time. I think my battery cable came undone at 200 feet. Luckily I always fly it over my own house when I get to high altitude. It came crashing down on my own deck... Little pieces everywhere. It was plummeting really fast. Serves as a reminder how dangerous the big drones are.

Tags:
  2. DroneTalk

DroneTalk R/C Expert Staff Member

Jul 8, 2015
    new jersey
    Posted by DroneTalk, Jan 1, 2018 #2
    That sucks.

3. photojunky

photojunky Member

May 3, 2016
    pacifica, California
    Posted by photojunky, Jan 1, 2018 #3
    It sure does.

4. Av8Chuck

Av8Chuck Member

May 28, 2011
    Posted by Av8Chuck, Jan 2, 2018 #4
    That does suck.

Not what I would characterize as a big drone. Had a similar thing happen to me with a Hex and the early days of the NAZA:

After my experience with DJI I have never used a DJI product in a commercial application since. Love flying the MAVIC for fun flights but I don't trust DJI or their products.

5. photojunky

photojunky Member

May 3, 2016
    pacifica, California
    Posted by photojunky, Jan 3, 2018 #5
    Y
    That crash didn't look too bad. Was there a lot of damage? What flight controllers do you like?

6. Av8Chuck

Av8Chuck Member

May 28, 2011
    Posted by Av8Chuck, Jan 3, 2018 #6
    The crash wasn’t bad. Unfortunately this was before carbon fiber booms, it had aluminum booms so it ruined a couple of the booms. That crash probably wouldn’t have done much damage today.

We developed and manufacture our own flight controller. You can get it here: https://store.mrobotics.io/category-s/146.htm. It’s a Pd4/Ardupilot based controller.

7. photojunky

photojunky Member

May 3, 2016
    pacifica, California
    Posted by photojunky, Jan 5, 2018 #7

8. photojunky

photojunky Member

May 3, 2016
    pacifica, California
    Posted by photojunky, Jan 5, 2018 #8
    Sorry if this is a double post but I did not see my previous response. The crash could have been worse. In reality I only lost, one motor, three props, a couple of motor mounts, and part of the frame.