How to start an aerial production business?

Chad Cervinski

So I've been flying for 3 years and have built multiple quads and spent lots of money on this hobby. I've been more into aerial and ground videos lately because my racing skills stink and I just love the technology. So I've been studying and reading all the 107 stuff and working on a portfolio of some projects and now I'm ready for that next step. I have no huge aspirations that my day job will immediately go away and I'll be fully self employed but I want to extend my creativity and perhaps make a few dollars.

So where does the average guy start? Start an LLC ? Get insurance ? I'm already signed up for my certification on September 3 so that's in the bag. Just how far does a small hobbiests wanting to move into the next level go? Seems like a lot of Jokers out here trying to sell insurance and classes...but nobody wanting to advance others for free...just another money grab. Thanks for any input ?

violetwolf

Great topic. Welcome to DroneVibes Chad.

There's a new professional drone section here. This might be a perfect thread for that section. I wonder if you or the mods could move it over there.. Nathan? (This seems like the type of thread we were talking about off-list where Pros could help new people into the industry.)

DroneTalk

R/C Expert
Staff member
Yes you need insurance, LLC, the ability to edit video and photos. Unfortunately anyone with a "drone" is now in the aerial photography business so you have a ton of competition , I spent 5 years building the business and gave up one it. I've been flying for over 30 years.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Biggest tip I can give you is that by doing this you are not in the drone business. You are a photographer/videographer full stop. The drone is merely a tool and it is the data that matters ie the imagery. No one will really care too much if you are using x machine or y but they will want to know things like data rates, colour space, compression and that's before they look at the actual composition and the ability for you to 'tell the story' that they are after in the shot.

The other big tip I have is that you need to charge the right amount. All too often people, in the UK at least, are charging too little and wondering why they cant make ends meet or are not getting the work. Work out all of your costs and then divide that by how many jobs you feel you can manage in the year. This will give you your break even point. Sounds simple for sure but you will be amazed at how few people actually do this. You will most likely find that you have to charge more than you were thinking if your jobs are not to cost you money to do rather than make money.

Ive found that the task of filming and editing is almost secondary to getting work in the first place. A large portion of your time is spent on drumming up business. People are not out there clamoring for aerial video and photography, you need to find them and convince them you have something to offer. Pricing is another thing that I struggle with, I'm not a pro. If I low ball a job they think your a rookie that cant do the job and if you charge too much they decline. You have to know your clients. I could do realtor jobs in my city all day for dirt cheap, I would probably spend less than 1 hour total per job. But try to convince a realtor to spend even $40 for an series of aerial pics. Their not interested in spending anything for an average home especially when most of them already have access to someone with a phantom. High end real estate is another animal all together but once again you have to go out there and find those realtors. There are tons of great opportunities besides real estate. You just need to figure out what they are and pursue them.

violetwolf

The pro companies around here in Vancouver are advertising their rates at $1500-$3000 per day. This is for higher end real estate and production video. No prosumer drones. (1\2 day rates available)

For regular real estate photography (no aerial shots) of your average suburban homes agents want to pay $50 per property.., and expect same or next day delivery of the edited photos.

One booking firm I know of was telling me they employ 150 photographers at that rate across the USA. I met him while I was filming the launch of his multi-million dollar yacht....

Lol! K thanks bye!

Last edited: