how to overlay 2 video feeds during a live shoot

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Hi everyone,
wold anyone happen to know how I could capture video using a monitor while showing the live video feed over a static image or another live feed? I've got some ideas for my product review videos but have run up against a technical wall that I'm not sure of how to resolve.

Thanks,
Bart

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I can probably help but not exactly sure what equipment and situation you have going. Are you asking to make a live picture in picture on your monitor? Are you in the field?

Bartman

I can probably help but not exactly sure what equipment and situation you have going. Are you asking to make a live picture in picture on your monitor? Are you in the field?

yuri,

thanks for the offer to help. what i'd like to do is to have an image or a live shot of a piece of equipment and then have the ability to write on a whiteboard and have that overlay the equipment shot. i'd need to see it in real time though so I know that where I"m writing isn't over the equipment that is being discussed.

is there software or a video mixer of some sort maybe?

thanks,
bart

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I'm still not totally clear. Sounds like you would need to key your background or do it all in post. Is there a real need for doing this live? After effects, premiere or fcp will do what you want most likely. I can only assume the use of the word overlay implies you want text over an image. Normally you would have a clip on one track and then just add a track with alpha to overlay in top. So the question is what defines your alpha channel. Like a weatherman, the green is replaced with video and anything can be placed over that. The ability to stack layers is endless. I'm not sure if that helps or not. Keep feeding us more on what you want and I'm sure the answer is pretty straight forward.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
To add, if you're trying to achieve a write-on effect you could key a white board and overlay that on anything. You will see everything but white so your hand writing it and and shadows or bad lighting will show up. The trick is all lighting when doing this. You don't want to reflect your key color on objects. White is not ideal but it will work. The other ways to do this are a bit more complex such as making a vector file for your final text and key framing 0-100% with a stroke effect. That's normally what you see when it looks like someone is spray painting over a wall.

Bartman

ok, thanks for the ideas. maybe i'll have to rethink what it is i'm trying to do or just experiment a little and see what i can do the old fashioned way.