How to find number of Satellites in realtime on iPhone

Palin

Has anyone found an app that can find the number of satellites in realtime on the iPhone? I've tried GPS Plan, p_track and pxSat, but I can't seem to get any of them showing a realtime count of what's overhead to confirm with what my IOSD-II is showing me.

Av8Chuck

Not sure about this but I believe that iPhones use cells to augment GPS and don't rely on a large number of satellites.

Palin

I think you could be right there. Looks like there's no option to use an iphone, except with a dongle.

Rotorfreek

What are you hoping to learn from this? I'm not sure it can confirm your iOSD data, as you may not always have every sat locked in while flying?

Sent by my thumb, a trusty slave to my crazy mind. The above is the ramblings of a lunatic, and should be treated as such. Terms and conditions apply.

Palin

What are you hoping to learn from this? I'm not sure it can confirm your iOSD data, as you may not always have every sat locked in while flying?

Sent by my thumb, a trusty slave to my crazy mind. The above is the ramblings of a lunatic, and should be treated as such. Terms and conditions apply.

I'm not expecting to learn anything useful from it tbh. It's just a suggestion that EuroUSC made for our ops manual. Not sure it's a requirement, and I agree I don't think it will be that useful, as it's what the GPS unit on the hex thinks, that's important.

Rotorfreek

Indeed. The only use it have for it is if I am taking longer than normal to get a lock, or if I keep dropping my link then I use one to see if I have a cracked antenna (the ceramic patches used for gps crack very easily) or a low gps sky.

I use a Garmin cycling gps, it gives a diagram with the satellite numbers, locations and a few other details.