How to adjust Phantom 2 Vision camera FOV?

gcoxusa

When I am taking stills the horizon in the photos has a curved/fish-eye effect. How do I eliminate that? The manual for the Vision shows the camera FOV; 140 / 120 / 90. How do you achieve a variable FOV for stills or video if the camera has no zoom?

Klaus

Hi

Very easy to answer the question about the FOV: You can't :(
The 140/120/90 are not changing the the FOV but are just cropping.

Best way to avoid the curved/fish eye effect is to shoot straight on. As soon as you turn the camera up and down you get the Fish eye effect. Try to take a Video, just hovering, start pointing the the Camera all the down and the slowly go all the way up with the camera. When you are watching the video after you are able to see how the fish eye effect nearly disappear when the the camera is horizontal.
But of course you cant use it like that, so the next way are to use the Lens profile from Adobe/DJI which can be used in both Photoshop and Adobe Light Room.
Hope that makes sense?

MrTommy

Very easy to answer the question about the FOV: You can't :(
The 140/120/90 are not changing the the FOV but are just cropping.

I too was wondering what (if any) changes take place when you change the FOV settings. So now I realize it isn't changing the FOV. So I'll just keep mine at 140 and forget the adjustment is even there... :02.47-tranquillity:

DennyR

What you need to do is not change the FOV but alter the distortion that the lens produces. Adobe have created an adjustment filter for Photoshop CC that can almost eliminate it completely or as much as you want. Check out Russell Prestons Adobe video tutorials.
I just did a high end sales brochure for a 10 million euro luxury house in the Troodos mountains using only my back-up Phantom Vision and PS CC /In-Design. Sure I could have used something a lot more expensive and risked loosing it in the very high surrounding forest but at the A4 size of the finished product there would be no difference in the final quality.

Klaus

What you need to do is not change the FOV but alter the distortion that the lens produces. Adobe have created an adjustment filter for Photoshop CC that can almost eliminate it completely or as much as you want. Check out Russell Prestons Adobe video tutorials.
I just did a high end sales brochure for a 10 million euro luxury house in the Troodos mountains using only my back-up Phantom Vision and PS CC /In-Design. Sure I could have used something a lot more expensive and risked loosing it in the very high surrounding forest but at the A4 size of the finished product there would be no difference in the final quality.

The filter you are talking about is the Lens profile i wrote about.

Im sure you have done a great job with the brochure. but dont' tell me that you not would be able to see the difference from the Visions camera and let say a Canon 5D Mk3 with a good lense on a A4 print?

You must be able to upload that photo and show us?

Thanks