How NOT to fly a hexa DJI

Kilby

This type of behavior scares me. Can you imagine what would happen if that was in the US at the Super Bowl? It would be on the front page of every news paper/website.

I wonder if they got their copter back though? That's a lot of money to just throw away!

Aviator

Yet another idiot with big ideas and more money than experience throws away £10,000 and moves us all one step closer to tighter regulation!

andrewrob

Scary stuff. Was it a case of relying on GPS without proper fix or just loosing orientation in general do you think?
I think the real tragedy is the bloke filming that can't work out which way up his phone should be for video

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael64

And people wonder why they what to put guidelines and laws on this stuff, as long as we have people like this doing stupid things like this its only going to get ALOT worse. I have a saying that "Common Sense is not as common as it use to be".

Michael64

Macsgrafs

Bet he was licensed as well! I see it all to often, some people look at the ticket as an excuse to fly in stupid places & dangerous situations!
I hope he never got it back & they jail the T**T for flying like that!

Ross

Macsgrafs

Scary stuff. Was it a case of relying on GPS without proper fix or just loosing orientation in general do you think?
I think the real tragedy is the bloke filming that can't work out which way up his phone should be for video

hahahahahahahhaa love it ;) We need retards to let the rest of us think we are inteligent ;)

Badfrog

If it had been me or my family that he crashed into, I would surely be taking it home! This is the nonsense that will shut us down everywhere. I am in the US... What are the requirements to be "licensed"? Any links to your licensing requirements/regs/organizations would appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I recently had the opportunity to do Super Cross at Oakland Coliseum and although last minute found out I coudlnt do it due to infringing on Speed Network and Gopro, I told them I would NOT fly during the actual event. One ALWAYS has to balance risk to reward! Any pilot needs to plan on what if not just the paycheck. Fortunately this was in another country where they probably dont have as strict of a policy against flying cameras but this crap gets around the world in a minute.

The no vertical camera clip is great!

andrewrob

If it had been me or my family that he crashed into, I would surely be taking it home! This is the nonsense that will shut us down everywhere. I am in the US... What are the requirements to be "licensed"? Any links to your licensing requirements/regs/organizations would appreciated.

We have the BNUC-S licence here (exam and practical test) and then CAA (like the FAA) approval after that (you send in your operations manual and the BNUC pass details).
Its pricey and I didn't like the idea of forking out for it to start with but can see the benefit now. Plus the examiner was a really nice guy, well into flying remote controlled jets and building military UAVs etc, and a very knowledgeable person when it comes to the industry.

BNUC-S info > http://www.eurousc.com/documents/LUASS_011_web.pdf

Kilby

Badfrog, the short answer is that there is no license in the US. Commercial flight is restricted and they won't have proper legislation passed till 2015 at the earliest.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
For WKM fliers out there check the GPS status indicator.. Guessing it was soemone reliant on GPS for flying butdid not wait for GSP lock.. even so Yuri is totally correct, paycheque over risk is a know go'er. The operator was lucky there was'nt a bunch of paramedics in attendance.. hope he learnt a real big lesson there.

Dave

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I was paranoid about other things than people too. Its a coliseum with an open top. If the winds pick up is there some sort of vacuum that occurs if I fly too high that will suck the heli out of the stadium? Also, there are 80,000 cell phones, wireless links everywhere, it's an RFI zoo really. Not to mention being locked in a circle with crazy 18 year olds on dirt bikes flying 25' in the air. I'll hold off for the promo shot, live is just silly talk.

Kilby

For WKM fliers out there check the GPS status indicator.. Guessing it was soemone reliant on GPS for flying butdid not wait for GSP lock.. even so Yuri is totally correct, paycheque over risk is a know go'er. The operator was lucky there was'nt a bunch of paramedics in attendance.. hope he learnt a real big lesson there.

Dave

Dave, I think you hit the nail on the head. You can easily see at the end of the video that they were flying in GPS mode and had no sats locked. 3 red flashes followed by a double purple LED. Some people have more money than sense I suppose.