How many here are Hams?

Technically speaking you have an amateur radio license of at least technician class to use 5.8 ghz FPV (and other) systems. No one is enforcing it and I don't think the Ham community has a problem with the FPV guys but it is a requirement. I had my general class license before I started in multirotors. If you don't have it I could care less, I won't judge. I would say though that the technician class amateur license is pretty easy to get. I wonder if that will be one of the requirements when the commercial operator rules finally come out? Makes sense that it would be.

jinly

I have a General Ticket...I had this way before I was into FPV or Muticopters also. I agree A lot of Ham's don't really care about the 2.4ghZ and 5.8gHZ.."The "hams " around here worry more about the other bands that get interfered with. Especially the sensitive Amateur Extra Bands . I know a lot of the younger flyers here don't have a "ham" license and don't plan on getting one. Also they aren't likely going to register their UAS to the Govt. It's that ole '60's rhetoric these young guns seem to have. The "Hell No we won't Go" thing. I was around in the '60's . I am too old to protest. I will be registering my UAS. I really don't have a problem with it.

I'm just the type to say screw the govt but the older i get the more I see the value in playing along. Some things I would never comply with and its too soon to tell how this supposed registration thing is going to play out. I am really interested in getting a commercial license but the 333 exemption is out of the question because I don't have a pilots license. Hopefully that part gets amended when they come out with the final rules.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I planned on taking the test before I moved, and will probably find a place down here soon. I have no interest in yet another expensive hobby, so it would be to comply for FPV flying. :)

I think it's a good thing to have. One of those things that may seem to many filled with knowledge that is easy to say "when will I use this?" But I think anything that makes you focus on the technical side of these things can't hurt.