How is the EPI-OSD board connected?

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I know I can be pretty stupid at times but generally I ain't an idjit. However, I'm damned if I can work out how to hook up this EPI-OSD board. I had hoped this forum would cast some light on it but it is just more of the same as everywhere ... just geek stuff about flashing this and Xbee that. Nowhere is it explained how the board is connected to the rest of the stack, neither the 'official' EPI-OSD site not the MK wiki. As these things can be easily purchased and since there is no definitive explanatory internet page, why the hell don't they come with at least a photocopied sheet of paper with some basic instructions?

A fairly self explanatory label "TO FC" is printed on the pcb but what happens if you have the Navi-Ctrl board/GPS as well? One site said "... just turn the EPI-OSD board 180°. Duh! None of the connector pins line up with anything. And anyway, I will need that NC debug connector for the bluetooth data link.

It is about to be returned to the supplier because if I cannot find any info on how to use it, it is an expensive piece of rubbish.

I am a bit new here (just joined recently) and came around your question (while I have the EPI myself).
Guess it is a little while ago that You asked this question, but I wonder that nobody answered it.
If the topic is still valid for You, I'd be willing to inform whatever You need. I have one (and one more on the way) and did not have a problem with connecting it.
I should confess that I never went through the trouble of flashing it, just used it as it came.

Regards,
Ruud

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I am a bit new here (just joined recently) and came around your question (while I have the EPI myself).
Guess it is a little while ago that You asked this question, but I wonder that nobody answered it.
If the topic is still valid for You, I'd be willing to inform whatever You need. I have one (and one more on the way) and did not have a problem with connecting it.
I should confess that I never went through the trouble of flashing it, just used it as it came.

Regards,
Ruud

Appreciate the reply Ruud, but I eventually sent it back. Not sure why I got it in the first place actually. Probably thought it would be cool to have all that data displayed.

haris_g

people can fly
i would be very intrested to know how you conect the osd, since im abt to get one... does it count ? :nevreness:

... does it count ? :nevreness:

Of course not, this one was very personal ;)

On a more serious note, I have to keep You waiting a little, as I lack the time (early ,orning, need to go to work) and do not have my Kopter with me here. But as I purchased mine from immersionsflug.de I can tell You that some very easy picture can be found there.
Some topics of importance, switch on FC first, then power the EPI on. That's how I do, it always works.
I have separate power for the EPI, the Video Tx and the Camera. It is a 3S 900mAh , works for ages before recharge.
ground from power should be connected to ground of others (camera too), I understood it not enough if only Video out from Camera is Coming to Video In from EPI.

All other information later, sorry.

This is just to excuse for the lack in time.
I did check the kopter, know that I actually have only 4 cables connected :
+ and - from a 3S 900mAh Lipo
Video in (coming from either of the following cameras (Canon Ixus 85IS, Sony CX700, FPV Camera)
Video out (going to my Ifrontech Tx)

But I lack the possibility to send You the document. It is in German and would need a little translation.
I will get back to this, but cannot promise a short time, sorry for that.

haris_g

people can fly
no worries of course, and thank you very much for all the info

in the mean time I have found out that this EzOSD is a simpler almost plug and play OSD system, sound very interesting to me

Attachments

• hc_2012.06.07_001.jpg
    hc_2012.06.07_001.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 415

haris_g

people can fly
thank you so much Ruud for following up on this thread, will sure check the links you shared , have a good day