How do I know what the camera sees?

egoli

How do I know what the camera sees?
I have been researching reasonably priced rc aerial photo/video hardware and the GP Hero 3 Black has seemed like a good bet. But, I have just come to realise that, when taking still photos, I will not have visual feedback from the camera. So how do I know what the camera sees? Is there a camera that will feed back an image or one that will change remotely from video mode to stills?
What am I missing here? Please help!
Also, if anyone can help, I have seen great, sharp and seamless aerial panoramas and 3D virtual tours. How is it done?
Jack
PS:- Thanks again for help on other questions.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Hi hi.

A simple solution is attaching an FPV camera and video transmitter. You can use the GoPro as the FPV cam but for some reason it is a bit buggy and freezes every now and then. The live feed doesn't freeze, just the recording. You would also need a video receiver. I got a complete setup from first person view.co.uk for less than £500 I think. I use the FPV camera to view the live image and point it in the same direction as my Gopro. For stills you could just set it to time lapse, say 1 picture every two seconds, and hover around taking pics. I use Fatshark Dominatir goggles to view the image but you can use a monitor also.

You can just plug the Gopro into the transmitter if you want to save money but the Gopro can be slow to changes in lighting which is only a problem if you're flying low and fast through obstacles.

Cool?

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
On all Heros, when the cam writes it makes the screen go black, then back just about the same amount of time......... but it still transmits just harder to fly through. most use immersion 5.8 vtx with a monitor

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
You can also just snap away and use something like Hugin to stitch them. This is a pretty fussy program though so you really need to make a nice nodal pan for it to work, which is hard on a heli unless you are lucky. There are some other apps that have surfaced recently as well..

gtranquilla

RadioActive
See Kloner's posting #4 etc. re: devices and/or software for 3D virtual tours....(will look like google earth street view)

Regarding seamless panoramas with a video camera mounted on the MR..... for 1 and 2 axis gimbal mounted video cameras, just rotate the MR 360 degrees without allowing any roll.
To do a 360 panorama with 3 axis gimbal you need retractable landing gear to keep the airframe out of the video.

egoli

Hi Benjamin (I have a grandson of the same name)
The GoPro shoots great hi res stills and has 50mm setting to get rid of fish eye. Looked up cheap FPV cameras and found CCD Killer camera at US$ 65.00. It is small at 21x28mm and certainly more than good enough to fly with so it sounds like a plan. Thanks for the advice.

egoli

Thanks kloner. I have looked at the Gopano but the tour I was referring to was 3D so it is still a mystery. Jack

egoli

Hi IrisAerial

These aerial 360 pans were sharp and seamless and 3D. Doesn't seem possible does it. Thanks, Jack