Homemade wooden frame

Esevilaa

Esevila
Hey guys

Just got round to finally weighing my frame so I thought I would post my build.

Started out with all my kit from hobbyking:

sk450
ntm1200
plush 30
kk2

View attachment 9435

View attachment 9438

I was never really happy with the frame, flexed a lot and also seemed quite heavy, so being a carpenter I designed my own (plus a major crash breaking 2 arms helped)

View attachment 9439
View attachment 9440

This was a nice lightweight plywood frame, 450mm and 210g, but I had a serious crash when I tried to flip with auto level on by mistake, 40metres up straight into the ground (concrete) and broke a leg, props and motor.

I decided to make the arms shorter, giving more strength and making it lighter, it's now 375mm and weighs 150g.
998g with everything including fpv gear and 4cell 2650 battery.

flies superb! It's a bit scary how fast it is!

it would be interesting to know the weight of your quads!

here is the final design.

View attachment 9441
View attachment 9443

And a mahogany version

View attachment 9444

Ps, is their anyone from Gothenburg on here?

thanks for reading.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 787
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 683
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 775
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 777
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 754
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 677
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 654
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 714
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 1,129

Efliernz

Pete
Awesome work :)

Wood is so underrated for multis. They help absorb vibes and let you create anything!

I even have the u/c and camera mount frame out of wood under my Droidworx hexa :)

Pete

kloner

Aerial DP
Those are pretty.

A full blown FPV type quad with 28mm motors, gopro, vtx, dedicated vid cam and 4000mah 4s weighs 1.6 kilo

Nellen0

Today i have to ask something which is that i want to make a wood frames for my new home my sister insist me that i buy some decorative frames but i dont know any good dealer of frams if anyone know here than contact here back....

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Are you sure you dont have multirotorforums confused with Homedepot? What are you asking us???

Last edited by a moderator:

Esevilaa

Esevila
and on another note........... :)

updated my frame to version 2.

310mm diagonal
144-150g (I sand down the final bit by hand thats why there is a difference)
designed for 8 inch props.

The first design broke as it didnt like meeting concrete at high speeds. So Ive reinforced, the change in size also helps the strength.

View attachment 9975

Attachments

• ecksbest.jpg
    ecksbest.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 413

Fxfoley

Very nice work and inspiring. I think I am ready to try it. I see you are in Sweden so I would like to ask a question about the wood. I presume that it is layered lamanate (Plywood). Is it a special grade. Is it used for furnature, regular construction, marine or strictly hobby shop material. Is it particularly high density. I am in the US and I want to start with a material similar to what you are using. Thanks and you are doing beautiful work.

Esevilaa

Esevila
Very nice work and inspiring. I think I am ready to try it. I see you are in Sweden so I would like to ask a question about the wood. I presume that it is layered lamanate (Plywood). Is it a special grade. Is it used for furnature, regular construction, marine or strictly hobby shop material. Is it particularly high density. I am in the US and I want to start with a material similar to what you are using. Thanks and you are doing beautiful work.

Thank you.

It is birch plywood used for furniture. It is very strong, People who have bought it are very pleased with the strength. The support bars round the outside increased the strength dramastically.

I have a thread with reviews on rc groups, and i am waiting for warthox to post a video.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1839667

ponchota

Very pretty, I was considering doing a wood build myself. Maybe even a material called Richlite, it's a recycled paper product layered like phenolic.Super strong. I am guessing you are using 1/2" thick 9 ply plywood? I will have to cheat and cut it on my CNC at work! That will ensure a perfectly symmetrical well balanced multi.