Homemade quadcopter failure. Not even in the sky.

photojunky

I simply was unable to program the ESC's correctly, a rookie mistake. A day after dismantling the quadcopter, the light bulb in my brain went on and I figured out where I had gone wrong. By that time it was too late. It was very simple. I had a wire in the wrong slot on the receiver when programming the ESC's. Instead of the S.Bus slot, it should have been in the 7B slot. Now I know.

However, I would not have strapped a camera on the thing. The screws were constantly loosening and needed to be tightened about once. I plan on building another one from scratch but not as big, and instead of so many screws, I will use resin epoxy to keep the arms in place.

But now it is time to build the Tarot T960!

photojunky

20161128_193654.jpg
20161128_193803.jpg
This is the Tarot T960 I'm working on. I will post photos of the quadcopter I took apart and am rebuilding. I used a totally different approach this time. No screws, just a lot of resin epoxy.

Attachments

• 20161128_193654.jpg
    20161128_193654.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,616
  • 20161128_193803.jpg
    20161128_193803.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 1,618

photojunky

20161203_165738.jpg
This is what is left of my homemade drone project. I am doing a different approach. Only four screws will be used. I have used resin epoxy and Gorilla Glue to hold the frame together. I'm going to drill a couple of holes and use zip ties as well.

Attachments

• 20161203_165738.jpg
    20161203_165738.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 1,637

Trevcharl

I simply was unable to program the ESC's correctly, a rookie mistake. A day after dismantling the quadcopter, the light bulb in my brain went on and I figured out where I had gone wrong. By that time it was too late. It was very simple. I had a wire in the wrong slot on the receiver when programming the ESC's. Instead of the S.Bus slot, it should have been in the 7B slot. Now I know.

However, I would not have strapped a camera on the thing. The screws were constantly loosening and needed to be tightened about once. I plan on building another one from scratch but not as big, and instead of so many screws, I will use resin epoxy to keep the arms in place.

But now it is time to build the Tarot T960!

Trevcharl

Screws that come loose...ish! You will have to raid your wifes make up drawer, steal her nail varnish, paint a generous coat around the head and nut. The nice thing about this is if you have to loosen that screw, a hard jerk cracks the varnish off, so you can still do the odd alteration....er....sneak the nail varnish back again, just so it will always be available when you need it!) lol

JCLs

Loctite on metal to metal only. Stuff dissolves plastic. Proper screws in plastic should not vibrate lose. Can always touch edge of screw with CA if critical.

photojunky

Nail polish... Loctite... I just poured Gorilla Glue all over the nuts and bolts and I can assure you nothing is going to come loose. :)

In the below video I fixed a design flaw. It took me quite a while separating the parts.

Last edited: