Holybro Kopis 1 210mm FPV Racing Drone

FPV Garage

Holybro is a well-known Chinese brand that delivers high quality FPV equipment. This year they offer a very interesting high-end racing quadcopter with excellent performance out of the box: the Kopis 1. We really liked it! Let us see it in detail.

Introduction
The Kopis 1 is a high-performance ready-to-fly FPV racing drone. Its stretched x low-deck design with centralized mass delivers an excellent handling and smooth cornering at high speed. Inside we find one of the best controller of the market with soft-mounted gyro and a high quality and full featured video transmitter. Holybro chooses high quality T-Motor motors, which give a very interesting balance of power and flight time. It also comes in a premium packaging. Every detail on the Kopis is great. They delivers all the performance, looks, and durability of a hand-built machine, ready to fly.

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 2400x1603.
showatt.php

Technical Details
The frame is a stretched “X” with 5mm carbon fiber for enhanced durability. This layout keeps the rear props out of the prop wash from the front props, increasing stability and thrust. The weight is around 300 grams without battery, not one of the lightest but still very good, for instance it is around 80g lighter than the Diatone GT200. Not bad.
The motors are T-Motor AIR40 2205 2450kV, a brand that delivers high quality and performance leading motors. The weight is very good, around 26grams. Compared to a 2305 motor they are lighter and more efficient. Although these are the entry level offering from T-Motor, you should not be disappointed and your batteries won’t cry :).
Even the ESC are at top level. Airbot Wraith Mini with the brand new BLHeli_32, DSHOT1200 compatible. They support 2~6S LiPo and are very tiny.
The FC is a king. The Holybro Kakute F4 is an all in one flight controller with a soft-mounted gyro and a 32khz capable gyroscope. The FC also has a built in OSD, which will allow you to display battery voltage, power consumption, timer and more. It comes already tuned, with great PIDs and all the sensors already configured.
The VTX is the Holybro Atlatl, a 40 Channel 5.8 GHz with pit mode (0.5mW), 25 mW, 100 mW, 200 mW, 400 mW, 600 mW power modes. The VTX can be configured through the FC (OSD or radio telemetry). It works with the ImmersionRC Tramp protocol, and it is already configured for you. It also has an great MMCX antenna connector, very strong and durable with respect to the typical IPEX. It can’t be detatched after a crash. Guaranteed.
The camera is the RunCam Swift Mini, a great 1/3″ Sony sensor with a very nice 2.3mm wide lens. It can be tilted from 0 to 90 degrees. The camera quality is very important in a FPV drone, and Holybro makes the right choice with that! No upgrades needed. You have already done.
The props are good 5045 tri-blade bullnose model. You can use any standard 5″ props with no problems. I used it with some 5040 triblades and it flies like a charm.
We also have a Betaflight programmable LED board and buzzer placed on the back plate.
Moreover, we already have a great GoPro Session / Runcam 3 mount and two battery straps.

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 2400x1603.
showatt.php

Quality
All the quadcopter is perfectly assembled. I really loved the care of the details of each single component. The esc are placed on the bottom of the arms in order to reduce air friction and to prevent the propellers from damaging them. The motor wires reaches the esc through a very smart hole that prevents damages in case of a crash. The battery is well locked, thanks to some anti-slip material under the frame and a good battery strap. The frame is very rigid and it is very well finished. No hard edges here. A top quality carbon fiber. The GoPro mount is not 3d printed. It is very good but it should be placed and fixed with two zip ties. Not the best option I think, since it is not soft mounted in any way. The video quality is still very good because the frame makes no vibrations at all. The vtx antenna is not very good and its placement is not the best.

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1920x1080.
showatt.php

Flight
In the air this quad is lovely. It is really plug-and-fly out of the box. PID are great, betaflight is already updated to the latest version, antigravity and airmode are enabled by default. Motors are well balanced and you can’t see any vibration during the flight. I really love how it performs. The motors delivers a good amount of power and with a 1500mah 4s I’ve reached 4minutes of freestyle flight. Usually I really don’t like the battery on the bottom of the frame, but in this frame I really love how its center of gravity is good with my Runcam 3 on it. On 25mW, the stock vtx antenna delivers a very poor signal, but this is the only defect I have been able to find. The antenna is well protected during a crash, but the image transmission is not very good since the carbon fiber prevents a good transmission.
Manual
You can download a “great” manual written by Joshua Bardwell (40 pages!). If you have any doubt, check on this manual because is simply amazing for a beginner. A big plus for this Kopis. This is the best manual I ever seen for a quadcopter. Congrats Holybro.
http://www.holybro.com/manual/Kopis1Manual_v1.2.pdf

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1920x1080.
showatt.php

Recap
+ Great packaging!
+ Kakute F4 with soft mounted sensors
+ Powerful and efficient motors
+ VTX configurable with OSD and FrSky telemetry out of the box
+ Microphone added on the VTX
+ Top quality Runcam Swift camera
+ Great PIDs out of the box
+ Top quality BLHeli_32 ESCs
+ Spare parts available worldwide
+ Amazing 40 pages manual
- No esc telemetry support
- GoPro mount rigid, no soft mount for vibration dampening
- VTX antenna quality and placement to be improved

Final Scores
Packaging 85
Quality 90
Performance 85
Value 75
Overall 85

Where to buy
PNP: http://bit.ly/2hjDm4K
FrSky: http://bit.ly/2meahNm

Coupons
$230 / €195 with GB11.11Toys coupon.

Spare Parts
Holybro Kopis 1 Zipper Bag
Holybro Kopis 1 FPV 3K Carbon Fiber Frame Kit
Holybro Kakute F4 AIO
Holybro Atlatl HV 5.8G 40CH 25 - 600mW FPV Transmitter
Holybro Durable LED Board with Buzzer
Holybro Gopro FPV Camera Mount
Original Holybro Battery Straps 2pcs
Holybro 25cm Magic Battery Strap 2pcs
Holybro BLHeli 32 3- 6S LiPo 30A ESC
T-Motor Air40 2450KV Brushless Motor
Holybro 5.8G 3.5dBi Mushroom FPV Antenna
Holybro Anti-slip Mat for Battery
RunCam Swift Mini 600TVL CCD FPV Camera 2.3MM 150-DEGREE FOV

You can use the coupon GB11.11Toys to discount all non-discounted items 20% OFF! It works for all the toys category.