HobbyKing 30Amp BlueSeries ESC or Afro 30Amp w/ SimonK Firmware?

aidenatt

The title says it all. Which is better, the HobbyKing Blue Series 30Amp ESC, or the Afro 30Amp ESC, with SimonK firmware?

I'm almost ready to order all the parts for my QuadCopter, I'm just not sure about the ESC's.

Also, what kind of battery would you guys recommend? I have been told to get a 5000mAh 3S battery, or a 3000mAh 4s battery. I'm not sure about the discharge rates though.

Specs -

Frame - Reptile 500-v2
Motors - 4x AX-2810Q-750KV
FC - ArduFlyer V2.5.2 FC
GPS - u-Blox CN-06 GPS Receiver V3.0
Telemetry Kit - 915Mhz Radio Telemetry Kit
Props - 10"x4.5
Battery - Unsure
Transmitter - Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter w/ Module & 8ch Receiver (Mode 1)

Any help is highly appreciated! :)

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
The Afro's by factor of 100.

4S all the way, make sure your motors are 4S cabable though.

Batteries at least 30C, more than 35C should not be needed and will only add weight.

If you plan on adding camera at some stage then think seriously about going to 900kv motors and 9 inch props or DJI 10x3.8's.

Pete

9X just say no, look for something that has a couple of three way switches, save you buying twice.

Markeaye

Markeaye
I had this same discussion with myself, and, as I predicted, I won the argument. I opted for the HK blues, and the flashing tool that only HK sells. The tool is cheap, the esc's are of good quality, and flashing four of them with SimonK firmware took about 10 minutes. As I understand, the Afro's are also good units, and come pre-flashed with SimonK, but when you start getting into this hobby, ya save a buck when ya can.