Hi from Golden, BC, Canada

bestimpressions

Hi All

Just joined the forums having spent many hours reading all the useful and helpful comments offered here.

Have not done anything RC since I was a young kid (which was far too many years ago :)), and now this old kid is looking at options for primarily aerial photography, although I'm sure the option to shoot video will appeal before too long.

Currently considering whether to:
i) jump in immediately to a co-axial quad, hex or octo setup to carry a 5D MkIII
or
ii) start with a quad for learning and work up from there.

Although I would love to shoot with my current body and lenses straight away, portability of the setup is key for remote locations, and I'm erring towards a quad setup for learning with a smaller camera (maybe an EOS M mirrorless), with the option to go co-axial in the future and be able to carry the larger body and lenses…..

Lots of helpful info through the site that I'm digesting right now….

I'm sure I'll be back with some specific questions nearer the time of purchase

Thanks in advance !
Dave

flitelab

Welcome!

In terms of where to start, I would suggest going slow and steady. Getting a full DSLR in the air will take some money to do right and not something you want to crash while learning.

Get a Blade mQX RTF and start learning, cheaper and can be flown inside and hard to damage and cheap and easy to get parts for from most local hobby shops.

Or you could got with a 450-550 size quad and a GoPro setup as a good starting point. Maybe a DJI F450 setup, or possibly the F550 Hex if you want to make a bigger step with a bit more overhead for payload.

When you say coaxial are you referring to Y6 or X8 setups?

You might also consider something like the Sony NEX 5n or a GH2 or similar camera over a full DSLR, much lighter and smaller to carry and mount and a number of gimbals are designed around this size. And a decent hex setup will carry it.

Also are you looking to use this for commercial purposes? If so keep in mind that in Canada that would require an SFOC from Transport Canada which also requires liability insurance.

Last edited by a moderator:

bestimpressions

A belated thank you to PattersonImages who has already been a massive help, continues to be, and will hopefully one day benefit from all his input! ;)

Thanks to Flitelab for your input - all much appreciated. Some thoughts on your comments:
- the more I read, and learn, the more I realise that working up to getting the DSLR in the air is a wise idea from many angles
- i was meaning an x8 setup - with the idea that I could start with a quad and upgrade to a coaxial x8 relatively easily - tying in nicely with point above
- i have been looking at the Nex5, but am also considering (and leaning towards) an EOS M because of the similar benefits (lighter body) but the additional benefits of it being a useful body for other uses, sharing lenses with my 5D
- thanks for the info on the SFOC. i had an initial read, and it looks very similar to other government regulated licensing, where it sounds like it is going to be challenging to apply in real life?! an application for each job rather than an annual or even longer period? clearly they have not worked with 90% of my clients who give me minimal notice (I'm sure I'm not alone in this). just wondering what your experience has been, and is it a practical application process which can return a cert in a decent period of time?
- finally - glad to have found your website - lots of useful info and Canadian store ;) as a side note, some of the links in your 'articles' section have stopped working - the ones in photography section to team-blacksheep.com - it seems that when they launched their new site they removed these pages. shame.

thanx all - this forum already lives up to its reputation!!

dave

flitelab

Thanks for the headsup in the links. I'll try and clean those up.

As for the SFOC it really comes down to if you think it is worth the risk or not. If nothing goes wrong and no other AP firm reports you doing work it probably is a non issue. If there is an accident then I suspect it would become a problem and fines would no doubt come into effect. There seem to be companies working with and without them at this point. I know there are plans in place to help simplify the process for smaller UAVs but nothing in the government happens fast.

bestimpressions

hi flitelab

Thanks for the heads up. I think it will be a long time, if ever, before I would consider my operation as an "AP Firm". The short to medium term may find me offering AP as an additional service to existing client, but we'll see. It may well remain a hobby only. It seems as shame that the SFOC application process becomes a deterrent in itself because of how it is designed. It sounds similar to the tenure issues that clients of mine face for remote backcountry access - the process for applying for it is so restrictive that it becomes impossible, and therefore people walk the wrong side of the line. Anyways, I better stop there before I start on a rant about bureaucratic processes ;)

Hopefully the process improves as the industry grows and matures. Thanks again for your input and advice