Hexacrafter HC800 Build Stsrted

Giovanni59

I put the frame together last week of the carbon fiber frame made by Andrew at Hexacrafter and it is looking great View attachment 10938Andrew has incorporated a brass bus bar instead of the standard power distribution board and it requires using a mini torch to get the solder flowing.View attachment 10939 Not pretty but gets the job done. Here are a couple more views: View attachment 10940View attachment 10941 I used 6 gauge wire for the battery leads and I also attached three sets of 12 g to power FC, FPV and LEDS. A couple more shots of the bars with the included protection covers and the Maytech 65a Simon K Flashed ESCs: View attachment 10942View attachment 10943 Started mounting the T-Motor 3820 and they are beautiful. I am now learning the best way to balance those Xoar props.View attachment 10944View attachment 10945 This is a slow process for me because this is my first build. I have been flying a F550 that someone else built for about 5 months now but other than changing a motor or adding landing gear and gimbal I am pretty new to this. I'm about to order WKM FC but heard that they are upgrading their IMU and I should wait. If anyone has any info on that it would be appreciated. I will be probably adding Andrew's landing gear and for gimbal I am waiting for the release of a brushless one that will hold my Nex7. Who makes it you ask? Sorry, that is top secret until it is past the testing stage. This is what my current rig looks like with a Skyrover landing gear and gimbalView attachment 10946

Attachments

• DSD_8692.jpg
    DSD_8692.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 294
  • DSD_8681.jpg
    DSD_8681.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 299
  • DSD_8682.jpg
    DSD_8682.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 340
  • DSD_8683.jpg
    DSD_8683.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 328
  • DSD_8684.jpg
    DSD_8684.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 336
  • DSD_8689.jpg
    DSD_8689.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 443
  • DSD_8695.jpg
    DSD_8695.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 288
  • DSD_8699.jpg
    DSD_8699.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_3290.jpg
    IMG_3290.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 303

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
Giovanni59,
Thanks for selecting our airframe for your project.
It looks like it is really coming together.
Thanks for testing prototypes of our new Copper Bus Bars with your kit.
They can be challenging to solder, but will pay off with their ability to handle the large amperage this aircraft will draw.
The production run of these should be available in about a week.
I will post a few photos of the production Bus Bars & Covers for the Forum.
Thanks again for giving us your business.

Andrew

Giovanni59

Andrew, Sorry for the bad modification I did, couldn't find the correct blade for my band saw and my bench grinder died. It ain't pretty but works. Thanks for all your help on this build. John

VINHEX

That baby is going to be awesome in the air.. Can't wait to see the vids on this.. Takes you to a new world with balancing props and motors but the time spent is worth every minute.. Keep the build images coming.. I've heard rumours about the new wkm as well my hexacrafter 650 works works fine on the one I have.. 3.7kg and flys a dream.. They are just awesome bits of kit very well engineered and strong.. The race is on with kloner building his one as well and the motors his put on his are just mental... When all is tuned in the sound off these baby's flying with the Xoars are wicked.. Keep the posts coming...

Giovanni59

Nothing new Vin, been really busy with other photography jobs and was waiting for everyone to get back from NAB to ask about WKM's new IMU. Patrick at Aerial Media Pros told me it will be a while and I would not really benefit anyway with my build, it's more for the "shaky" S800. I did balance all my props though. Very difficult with a few of them. Part of the problem is I have never done any of this so I am relying on You Tube and the advice of these forums, and of course Andrew at Hexacrafter. Four of the props balanced pretty nicely but I had problems with two of them. Getting the blades to balance was pretty easy but the hubs were a real problem. I was almost ready to send them back but kept at it. Whenever I put them at 11 or 2 O'clock they kept swinging around to horizontal and I took a lot of material off the opposing hub side. I decided from the beginning that I did not want to add mass so I sanded with 220 emery cloth. I finally got them to stay. Good boy!! I downloaded a seismograph app for my Droid and as soon as I get the electronics in I will see how the motors balance out. I could only find one You Tube tutorial on using the phone method and it was not very clear. Any advice on checking the balance of the motors? I will try rotating the shaft plate and see which position they run smooth but what is the best way to determine that smoothness? Also, I don't like all the methods of balancing the motors if the plate rotation method does not work. Can't "sand" them down like the wood props. I heard some people use tape but there are reports of it flying off. I guess there is always glue or the Velcro with glue added to it. Looks like crap though. Thanks for asking Vin. You really like your HC don't you? I can't wait to get mine flying. I have been getting some really great photos with my F550 that I learned to fly with. Here are a few:View attachment 11151View attachment 11152View attachment 11153 I have a lot of clients interested in video but until I get the 800 up I cannot give them anything I or they would be happy with.

Attachments

• DSC01879.jpg
    DSC01879.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 325
  • DSC01903.jpg
    DSC01903.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 335
  • DSC01980.jpg
    DSC01980.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 280

VINHEX

It was all new to me on balancing props and motors but they all came true in the end.. Just patients and a little time.. I did the same as you, I took the weight off the props rather than adding.. I know this sounds harsh but I even Dremelled some of my hubs as the props were way out. I thought I was doing this all wrong until I saw some images of props simuler to mine.. I contacted the manufacturer and showed them what they were like when paying for a procession item, you expect to tweak but not repair LOL They are sending me replacements free of charge.

I used the vibration app on my iPhone to do the motors. Strapped it to the arm and run each motor one at a time. I removed all prop adapters and then one by one added and turned each one until I found the perfect adapter for that motor. They all leveled out much better.

It takes time but worth it in the long run for sure.

Yep I really like my 650 its spot on and I really wont change for another, I may upgrade to an 800 someday (Long away) if required but when you fly these you'll no why UNREAL!!

Giovanni59

I'll have to do some reading up on how to interpret the vibration graph on the app. Yes, it is night and day between my 550 and this 800, in build quality and looks and I have no doubt on how it will fly. I'm one of those who wants it all. I was almost ready to buy one of your compatriot's Vulcan airframe, 1000mm or even 1200. Little steps, a good policy.

Giovanni59

Well this build has taken a lot longer than anticipated. I am still waiting for the WKM but the build is pretty much complete. Here you can see the landing gear, HC gimbal and battery trays. View attachment 11524 Normally the double battery tray would have two batteries attached (in parallel) but that would make the MR off balance with too much weight toward the rear. With only a Nex7 on the gimbal the front is too light, perhaps when I move up to a DSLR it will be more balanced. Andrew at HC suggested I get a single battery tray and mount it in the middle to balance the craft. However I found it difficult to access it in this position so I tried another location. I took a piece left over from the landing gear, flipped it and mounted it on the rear legs and was able to attach the single tray there. View attachment 11525 It seems to be very sturdy attached this way and makes the balance perfect. If anyone sees any reason why this configuration might not work please point it out. WKM is arriving today and I will play around with it in the evenings all this week and then hopefully the first flight will be this weekend. In the words of Vinhex: Wahoooooo.

Attachments

• DSC_4736.jpg
    DSC_4736.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 298
  • DSC_4743.jpg
    DSC_4743.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 284

VINHEX

Excellent buddy, great to see it all coming along, gimbal looking smoooth.. You're going to love it!

kloner

Aerial DP
i'm flying 8000-10600 mah back behind the frame on the rail system and with a nex5 has been a little nose heavy still...... when you drop the weight that far below the frame your gonna get a very low horiz cg......

VINHEX

Awesome what a piece of kit.. Glad she's all working smooth buddy.. There just so awesome in either setup..

Vin
Hexacrafter HC650, DJI WKM, DJI DataLink 2.4Ghz, 3s 3300, 3s 5000, Aeroxcraft Landing Gear, Xoar 12x6 props, Spektrum DX8, AR8000 Receiver
TM1000, Fatshark Attitude SD, Sony Exview Had II CCD 650 Line Sony Effio-E
Fatshark Spironet Antenna's, DJI iOSD

Giovanni59

I have been having some issues though. I was flying it Saturday about 50 feet up doing a turn and all of a sudden it starting jerking around and then it started spiraling down. I tried to control it but it did not seem to react. I thought a motor went out. It landed level on the grass and no damage but I need to figure out what happened. I sent if up again a few feet off the ground and it started doing it again. I felt all the motors and one, #5 was very hot. The others were cool. As I was carrying it I noticed one of the arms shifting, yes #5. I checked and a bunch of the crews were loose. I tightened everything up and used loctite. I also took all the props off and balanced them. I flew it a few more times and it is not doing it anymore. But now I am nervous to fly.Any idea what it could have been? I'm pretty sure the loose boom made that motor work harder and made it overheat. Perhaps that is why it failed and is ok now that it has cooled down. Also maybe the boom moving slightly effected the WKM flight control. Please give me your opinion. Here is the on board video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4UaqnLqznA Very jerky, still working out issues with the gimbal.

VINHEX

Hey buddy,
Sounds like with the boom out a little put off your COG I had this on my F550 if one motor is getting hot this could be the fault.. Once hot the motor is not working correctly hence the spin.. Check the COG again to be 100% sure if all in place fly about at low level check the motors for heat.. If all good, then good to go..

As mentioned my F550 COG was out and more work had to be carried our with the two front motors this caused them to get VERY hot and smelled a little.. Once the cog was sorted, she smoothed out.. (This is on the F550) I now always check the cog by holding the left and right arms and seeing if she tips forward or backward.. When I change battery's..

Vin
Hexacrafter HC650, DJI WKM, DJI DataLink 2.4Ghz, 3s 3300, 3s 5000, Aeroxcraft Landing Gear, Xoar 12x6 props, Spektrum DX8, AR8000 Receiver

araines2750

Hexa Crazy
I have been working with him this morning on this. Listen to the audio. You can here a whine start when it goes out of control & also in a second video when it initally wobbles and until the video ends. It sounds like a bad bearing on a motor. Based on the heat isssue & the way the airctaft initially wobbles, it looks like #5 (Right Rear). We were considering soldering issues, bad ESC or Motor issues prior to seeing the video, but you can clearly hear the sound begin when the problem happens. If the video was longer and contunued until the motors stopped, I bet you will hear the whine stop with the motor.
Unfortuately, even with the high quality of the T-Motor line, it seems like some still are getting some bad bearings new out of the box.
This is my opinion based on the available information & video.
I would love to see a video of this problem occurring from the ground view also.
Other suggestions & opinions are welcome.

Andrew

Giovanni59

Yes Vinny, I am very careful to make sure the COG is balanced and it is. Here is a link to the second video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XTdver7tsY&feature=youtu.beYou can really hear something is wrong with the motor. And yes, Andrew it was #5 the first time that got hot. But after this second incident all the motors were cool. I will just continue to fly it around above the grass and see if it does it again and then try to hear if it is the #5 motor. Or I can just replace that motor and send it to Tiger and have them check it out.

VINHEX

Andrew, may have talked you through this buddy so sorry to repeat.. Have you tried taking off props and spinning on bench feel the motors with your fingers as they spin... If you've got issues then you will feel for sure, could also have been that as Andrew says dodgy bearing or motor that is causing bad vibes WKM hates vibes.... Which sent it out as well as motor... I've had no issues with any of my screws coming loose on the arms which indicates your are getting major vibes as well..

Vin

Giovanni59

Yes, I did spin them and to my touch they seem to be about the same. I checked and made sure the props were balanced and they are pretty good. I am thinking of spinning the motors with no props one at a time and checking for vibrations with my Android Phone app but not sure how well that will work. Replacing #5 motor tonight. Thanks for your help.