Hero3 Serious Problem

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
The footage is beautiful when it works but due to the problems that myself and many others have had I would suggest waiting. My camera was a gift; I wouldn't pay 300-400 for one. Not sure what other options there are.

baker55

I was told by gopro to reformat my sd card and send them a sample video, so I did. They said the vid and sound is just fine. Really!! I said 9 times out of 10 it is but its that tenth one that gets me. Not sure if I'll try and get my money back or not.

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
I think the codecs on your computer need updating baker. In particular the H.264 codec which is what GoPro uses as it's recording format. Video shows as black screen on your computer, file size appears correct, the video you sent GoPro works for them - this leads me to a software issue on your computer.

Go to this site and download the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack - http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Mega_Codec_Pack.htm

It includes the x264 decoder and should hopefully solve your problem. The pack also has many other codecs so that you don't run in to this problem with other video formats.

The download is safe. I have been using K-Lite for many years, it is one of the most popular codec packs available. I typically install it without any players, all you want is the decoders.

baker55

Thanks Hartz. I will try that. But the video I sent to gopro was after formatting the micro sd and shooting a short vid. I worked fine on my end too! Shaun

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
Oh right, sorry. I got mixed up and thought you were having the same black screen issue even with the new recording.

baker55

No problem. I got an email from gopro today, they said it was the card not the camera! So I am trying a couple of other cards, sandisk 16gb and Lexar 32gb. We'll see what happens.