Help with my first IronMan 1000 octo build

kemmy

While I figure out my parts wanted to ask another question about gimbals. What would I need to get apart from the gimbal its self to operate properly. For e.g with a cinestar (a 2 axis or 3 axis ) gimbal what would I need to buy apart from the gimbal its self. I know there are the freefly radians but they are just too expensive ( it works out that they will cost more than the gimbal :) Is there a combination that I can work on like a CS gimbal and another gimbal stabilization system ? Or can you suggest me any other CS clones that are WORTH considering for my kit ? thx

ps: To be honest I want to go with a original Cinestar gimbal because I know they work perfect but if the cost of the CS gimbal+gimbal stabilization becomes too ridiculous I might have to consider alternative options for the gimbal that can carry heavy cameras.

hjls3

He wants to carry a RED and 5dMK3. Who doesnt?? - kemmy - I might suggest holding off on the gimbal, learning to fly and repair, and repair some more - then by that time - the brushless gimbals Nic speaks of will be plentiful.

Kermy,
Go Brushless gimbal dude. What camera do you wanna use?

kemmy

Thx again for the replies. Well I'm about to order AeroSim RC so I can train a little :) ( I'm not too bad with flying planes but like you said I need to train a little with multirotors) I own a Sony Nex7 and a Canon MK2. The mk3 and red epic isnt a must but while I build a big system like this I want it to be future proof just incase I decide (or capable enough lol ) to fly heavier cameras. I will look into brushless gimbals. I'll probably have some time waiting for the parts to arrive to Turkey. While I wait I can train via the aerosim software and do some research for gimbals (both brushless and ordinary gimbals)

nicwilke ; are there any brushless gimbals you can suggest atm ? so at least I can have an opinion about them

hjls3; Thx for always recommending me to learn first and thats what I'll be exactly doing.

EDIT: thx nicwilke I think I'll build the multirotor first like you said and do some safe-?x&/^% flights lol then from there in a few weeks or months maybe I'll have more choice for gimbals.Checking out the Specky gimbals

Last edited by a moderator:

kemmy

Now that I'm going to buy a simulator I need to get my controller. What would you suggest ? For my octo build i want something good enough and not too expensive. Would you say dx8 is good enough for the job ? Or shall i go with futaba models ?.

EDIT: I'm trying to narrow my list for controllers to Turnigy 9x (because its cheap and commonly used + works great with aerosim RC) and the spektrum dx8. I suppose I'll wait for other suggestions :)

kemmy

Ok I gave it a start :) Ordered my Tarot Iron Man 1000mm octo frame the sunnysky 320kv engines, the 40A ESC's the 1447 cf. props bought a turnigy 9x v2 controller but I noticed that the li po batteries that were 6S 9000mah on foxtech are out of stock so I might need to wait a little or look for alternatives, what would you suggest for alternative li-po's ? and its chargers ? where can I buy some ? thx.

Debian Dog

Old Heli Guy
Funny reading this I have had e-helis for years and wanted a Bergen Hexacopter to start filming with. I called Chris and told him what I wanted. He asked something like "oh what kind do you have now?" I was like, "I don't". He said "No! Go buy a cheap 450 550 size get it all figured out and call me back in the few months" :highly_amused:

kemmy

Thats what im avoiding, we all have our own way. Thx to the simulator ill be saving money :) i suppose i like it the hard way lol

kemmy

Thx nicwilke :) Probably you're right . I ordered my wookong m (plus I bought the m view pack and software so I can have telemetry info on my laptop) The only part that I havent got for my octo are the li po's and the cable connectors to go with it. Once I get (decide what mah level lipo to get) I'll be starting to put everything together.

nicwilke

Thx nicwilke :) Probably you're right . I ordered my wookong m (plus I bought the m view pack and software so I can have telemetry info on my laptop) The only part that I havent got for my octo are the li po's and the cable connectors to go with it. Once I get (decide what mah level lipo to get) I'll be starting to put everything together.

Excellent. What motors did you get?
I'm running a few 3s and a 4s machine. I'm thinking next build will be a 6s and low kV rig.
View attachment 11365

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367011357712.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367011357712.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 263

kemmy

My motors are sunnysky 320kv and the ESC's are hobbywing 40A ones. I still havent decided what 6S battery to buy, my main concern is me being in England at the moment and I'll have to take the Li Po's I buy back to Turkey, would probably be a little trouble trying to take em on my plane :)

kemmy

OK I bought all the parts I need to build my octo except the power distribution board. I will need some extra wires for the esc- motor connection reaching the lipo. Here is my question , what type of cable would you suggest me to buy ? and what power distribution board shall I use ? ( or shall I use power dis board? - is a wire harness better ?) As my main power supply I'll be using a 6S 10000mah battery so the extension cables and my power distribution board has to be suitable for high currents, which I'm a little alien to those informations :S hope you can help me with that. Thanks .I

ps:'ll soon start a proper build thread once I get this power thing sorted.

atpfilms

OK I bought all the parts I need to build my octo except the power distribution board. I will need some extra wires for the esc- motor connection reaching the lipo. Here is my question , what type of cable would you suggest me to buy ? and what power distribution board shall I use ? ( or shall I use power dis board? - is a wire harness better ?) As my main power supply I'll be using a 6S 10000mah battery so the extension cables and my power distribution board has to be suitable for high currents, which I'm a little alien to those informations :S hope you can help me with that. Thanks .I

ps:'ll soon start a proper build thread once I get this power thing sorted.
Did you ever start another thread? I'm selling a cinestar 3-axis gimbal fully built with radians and a Graupner mx-20 fully set up with the gimbal for the camera man if you're interested. Ah, just saw you're in Turkey. That could be tough to ship.

KW10 motors with 500KV, 16x5 inch props, coax, check video.
And u dont need to have 1000mm bird.

kind of new to multirotors etc, but whats the advantage of having 2xmotors/props per arm? seen a few of those machines when scooping around the net.

An also, when lifting 20kg, wont the flighttime be highly reduced?

//Newbie with a lot of questions

d.s impressive machine that was....

Hi Kemmy,

I am also building an 1000 size Octa.
Few thing I would like to add from my previous experience of building Skyjib V2 octa and Tarot 910 hexa.

1) It is very good if you have a foldable design especially when you are transporting. SkyJib V2 was a terrible pain unless you have huge Van.

2) Servo Gimbals are not satisfactory for Aerial Filming. At least for the beginners. I have not used a Brushless Gimbal for 5D like payloads but I can easily say there is a great difference. Servo Gimbal requires lots of post stabilization which eats out your resolution.

3) Quick release is another requirement. Else you will break your spine bending down all the time to do some setting on your camera.

When I moved from Servo -> BL-alexemos -> BL-Zenmuse for a GoPro I strongly decided I will never go back to the others Z15 H3-2D did a great job!!!
I guess Z15-5D will also do a wonderful job

Regarding Servo Gimbals
1) Photohigher AV200 is Ok. But the way RSGS is mounted is slighty not satisfactory.
2) Cinistar clone from Tarot is fine and rigid but not as spacious as AV200 (Av200 Can take RED EPIC).

I started hating the videos taken from these once I saw Zenmuse :) .