Help with Drone Builds Please

qavkev

Building a QAV 250r and QAV x can I just download Inav firmware to Flight controlled and not have to have a GPS antenna and say aDJI nav trying to understand this new to fpv never built drones or flown and building two right now one for me and one for son. Please explain as for my 250r for my son I just ordered a DJI Nav from getfpv so he could have the return home feature which will add weight that I would like to get rid of. If I understand this correctly I would just purchase say a KISS flight controller and download the Inav firmware which is free and I could eliminate the GPS antenna and return the DJI nav system to getfpv? and I could do the same for the QAVX that I am building which is too small to add a gps Flight controller this way the QAVx would have a return to home feature as well with no added weight? or am I way off here someone please help me understand. Thanks very nice QAV by the way Kevin kevinJLsheridan@gmail.com I have also been looking for some help with these QAV builds and have posted below what I could use help with on some FPV forums with no luck so if someone could assist I would surely be grateful! New to this sport, never flown or built before, I am sparing no expense in building two drones so I want to get this right. I am currently ordering parts to build my son a QAV 250r and I ordered a QAV x for myself. Below is what I have ordered for parts and I need some help with eCalc configurations to give me some specs on what I am building. I am looking for optimal prop size and pitch with the motor and size I chose along with optimal ESC to handle the motors on a 4s 95c 1300MAH Luminier battery. OEM Lumenier QAV X and QAV 250r will have PRO Tmotor F40 2600KV motors, Kiss 30 AMP ESC, 4s 1300 MAH 95c Batteries, 5045/3 Props. I seeking to get out of the 250r to 80-90 MPH and my QAV X to 95-100 MPH if not faster with decent fly time! My eCalc configurator shows that I am not even close to desired MPH and fly time for both QAV X and QAV 250r and shows my ESC’s, (KISS 30 AMP) are too small and I, need a bigger AMP ESC’s, it also shows my Pitch is way off and shows low MPH for both QAV’s. (I could be entering the wrong information based on lack of experience which is why I need your help) Can someone configure both QAV’s for me and let me know the following a) What optimal ESC and Prop size/Pitch would be for both build configurations and what prop would you suggest? b) What Max Speed will be for both QAV’s QAV 250r for my son and QAV X for myself? c)What is the fly time for each? d) What is your experienced opinion about the Motors ESC, Battery and Prop selection I choose for each the QAV 250r and the QAV X builds. Is there a more efficient, more powerful lighter better combination you would have gone with to make each QAV sick performing drones? if so what would you have chosen? Please email me product info and why you would have gone that route so I can research and change products before I build. e) What is it you would do to maximize each QAV with the Motor, ESC, Battery and Prop to get the most out of each QAV. You can email me at kevinJLsheridan@gmail.com or text me at 989-359-1026 I will be building these QAV’s this week and parts are arriving daily so time is off the essence and I need an experienced FPV Drone builder to help. Best regards, KevinJLsheridan@gmail.com

Where to start. First off most people new to multirotors learn to crawl before they walk. 80 to 90mph is not a realistic goal for a first build in fact I'm pretty sure it hasn't been done at all except in maybe a few rare cases by advanced builders. I'm not that familiar with Ecalc but in the 250 size class of quad copter you should have maybe an 8 to 12 amp ESC not 30. And the whole return to home thing without a GPS compass doesn't make sense either. My advice would be to shelve this project for a while until you have a little more experience. Get a small drone like maybe a husban or a syma and fly it around the house or backyard. Then if you insist on building one consider a larger drone for your first project, you can get a complete 450 flame wheel kit for pretty cheap. it will come with the right motor, prop, ESC combination and have a basic flight controller with GPS. I recommend a DJI FC. You could try to find some drone racers in your area and talk to them as well. If you really want to skip ahead then go ahead and buy a mini 250 kit that comes complete with everything and assemble that. Skip ecalc altogether until you have some experience and know more than you do now. Just buy a kit that has already been properly laid out. You seem to be setting yourself up for failure with the route you are on and you will likely give up because you set the bar too high for your first go around.

photojunky

You want an easy to fly drone for your first period I would also recommend the Syma x5c. I bought a racing drone first and constantly crashed it. I was buying props by the Dozen, literally. The above post gives some great advice. I would also recommend building a larger drone for a first drone. It will be much easier to fly and build. Good luck and post the progress.

Vection

There's a fly in my Zen
I'll add my 2 cents to the discussion. Lots of good advice from John and photojunky. It seems more like you want to run first instead of learning to crawl. Get a toy like the Syma X5c or the X5SW if you want to experience dummied down FPV or anything in that size class. Wltoys makes small quads (like the V222) that will fly rings around the Syma if you want something a little less sedate but about the same size. I have both of the quads and the V222 is the better flyer. The Tx on both of these more closely resemble a full size Tx to get you used to handling them. Those quads are a bit too large to fly in the house so a Hubsan X4-H107 (or similar size quad) is a good choice for indoor flying and it will fly outdoors on calm days. Learn to fly them first before sinking a lot of money into this hobby, it can quickly become a black hole sucking up any loose change laying around. That's experience talking... Burn off a few batteries a day to get used to flying them, you'll quickly get the hang of it. Unless you get in trouble stay away from Headless mode, it may be easy but you need to learn to fly like you're in the cockpit. I'm still working on that one... mainly because I don't fly enough.
Like you I tried building too soon and just got confused. I got caught up in the mystic of the hobby and bought a lot of stuff I didn't need to boot. But it wasn't long before I was scratch building quads after learning the basics first. BTW they all flew great from the get go, which surprised me to no end. Good Luck

ChrisRL

qav, hello!
Chris here.
While seconding what the other two people here have already said, I have something to add. If you're going to become, say, a good race car driver or plane pilot, you're going to want to have experience in many race cars or aircraft as you're building your own skills, that's pretty obvious. So something like a LaTrax Alias with the "insane" motor upgrade, or a Hubsan 107, with a pile of batteries, is always going to be useful in getting your piloting skills up to par.
However, that's not too sexy a proposition, especially with money burning a hole in your pocket, and the good thing is that most of the higher end drones come with or have an option to get a computer based (or iPhone or Android based) flight simulator so you can get used to the controls before actually flying your expensive drone.
So that's a way to go. Get your expensive drone, with simulator. Get a cheap actual drone. Practice on the sim and on the cheaper drone until you have a good feel for the real deal, then try flying your expensive drone.
A battery or two a day, every day, will build you up to snuff before too long, especially if you practice a lot on the sim or the baby drone.