help with buying new multi.

pepper

Ugh..... so many options. ... I already have an 1100 to carry my SLR camera and I use it for my a6000 as well. I'm looking for something a bit easier to transport, setup, etc. I was thinking of just getting a solo but got to looking at the tarot x6 or x4. Mainly because I don't want to be stuck with just using a gopro. Am x4 or x6 could support my a6000. But.... a solo is so much easier to just pull out, install battery and go. Btw. No dji stuff. Not a fan of them.

What would you guys recommend?

Old Man

Although I don't much care for the way they've set up the flight modes I've been looking pretty hard at the Yuneec/Horizon Chroma for the reasons you describe. Choice of 1080 and 4k cameras, or a Go Pro mount if you prefer. None of the "consumer drones" have the best lens/camera quality but the resolution is just good enough to permit some stills cropping. All of them demonstrate some level or lens distortion somewhere within the frame if you look for it, but even at that better than a GoPro shooting 60p with a stock lens.

Back to the Chroma. It does not require an additional tablet or phone to operate the system, taking a layer of potential failures out of the equation. The broadcast video requires a secondary tablet with a CGO ap if you want to receive the product at a location separate from the SD cards in the copter and transmitter. It does not have waypoint capability and there is some latency in the video stream.

I have a Tarot 810 which works out well for most things but I set it up as a non-folding hex so transport is not difficult but will never be airline friendly. It's too much copter for a Go Pro but great for the a6000 and other mirrorless.

I was looking at the Solo too but off line discussions with an "insider" convinced me to wait for the second release of that one.

Pumpkinguy

I joined the solo facebook group because I really wanted to try something other than dji. A month on that forum made me realize that the alternatives to phantom 3 aren't so great. Solo has its own problems and lots of them.

Old Man

Mostly in the hardware. I suspect that will be corrected for follow on releases. Their CS department is overwhelmed at the moment. The warranty is great but knowing in advance you have a good chance of needing it is not reassuring.

violetwolf

I've been flying a Tarot 810 frame with Pixhawk (APM actually) for almost 3 years. Great folding frame. Love it!

Build your own at 1/2 the price of any equivalent store bought machine. (Or twice the quality at the same price)

If I were to build at an "DJI Inspire price point" right now it would be the 810 / Pixhawk with a Phobotic gimbal controller, and a Sony RX100 mk4... Just to illustrate the value of DIY... You'd have twice the machine and camera with a ton more functionality. ;)

pepper

yea. i think im going the way of a tarot 690 building it myself. just cheaper, i know what's in it and i can mount something other than a gopro. the octo i have now does it's purpose and has worked well. except for the freaking esc's !! that's a whole nother story!