Help! Rules differnet for quads???

jwk72

[h=3]Pardon my ignorance because coming from a number of years of helis and fixed wing I've realized there is a lot about quads that, well... Doesn't have anything to do with previous knowledge or experience. Is choosing props really that much trial and error? Is there some procedure or "rules" I'm missing? So far from what I've seen the props people choose are not even close to recommended props. I'm building a DJI F450 that will be pretty much only for using for aerial video and photos. It has the Naza v2 w/ GPS. My Eflite Park 480's call for 11x6 to 12x7 I think and not only will they not fit but it seems that is WAY bigger than what most use. I've got 10x4.7 SF's to try first but that seems like it would turn too many rpm's. these 480's are 910kv so they'll turn slightly slower than the stock DJI's but are "fatter" so will have a bit more torque... Is that correct so far? The motor specs call out for 3s not 4s so I don't think I can go that route. So with mentioned motors and props combined with Eflite 40 amp Pro esc's am in for any surprises? Recommendations? Thanks![/h]

sixshooterstang

Bird's Eyes Aerial Media
The 10x4.7 SF props or 11x4.7 SF props will work fine but an 8inch or 9inch prop might be better if you aren't lifting any payloads. The stock F450 comes with 960kv motors and the option of 10inch or 8inch props

jwk72

The 10x4.7 SF props or 11x4.7 SF props will work fine but an 8inch or 9inch prop might be better if you aren't lifting any payloads. The stock F450 comes with 960kv motors and the option of 10inch or 8inch props

This will for the most part only be used with tall LG and a brushless gimbal and small camera like a GoPro or similar size/weight.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
With that combination of motor and frame size a 9 or 10 inch prop will be what you want, 10 inch for slower flying and 9 inch for more responsive flying, an 8 inch will be too small and you will loose efficiency.

Pete

jwk72

With that combination of motor and frame size a 9 or 10 inch prop will be what you want, 10 inch for slower flying and 9 inch for more responsive flying, an 8 inch will be too small and you will loose efficiency.

Pete

Cool, thanks for the info. All of the sudden I feel like a newbie again! I assume it's probably needed to calibrate ecs being they are not DIJ? Needs to be done one at a time or all together?

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
One at a time but even if calibration was off a little it would not be that bad.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe B

I'm new to MRs... been a 3D heli guy for about 10 years. For what it's worth, I'm using a Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal and GoPro on my F450 (with 3S packs) and I'm using the DJI 1038 props. So far so good for me... but the F550 is already calling to me, haha!