Help please

RenegadeEMT

So I'm new to the software systems and programming side but not new to the mechanics of the drone world. I build and have built many DIY Drones including:
-Tarot 1100 Octo, 1760 rotors, 300kv Gartt motors, 40amp esc's, 2x 6s batteries, ardupilot 2.8 apm, hobbyking 6s PDB.
- I have a custom build and designed Xwing style 1000mm Carbon fiber Coaxial Quad, 750kv motors, 30amp esc's, 1555 in props, hobbyking PDB, APM2.8
-a H.A.L. 550mm quad, 920kv motors, 30amp esc's, 1155 props, KK2.0 FC.
-Tarot 690S hexacopter, 1355 props, 750kv motors, 30 amp Esc's and electronic landing gear
- F500 quad, 920kv, 9 inch triblade DJI props, 30amp esc's.

I never really dealt with other systems other than the old school Tarot FC

I'm currently looking for advice as all my builds are dealing with the same major issue. Tip over on take off. No stable hover for more than a second or two.

I have tested all the usual suspects and all seem to be working and set properly:
- PID settings
- Rotor Direction
- Motor rotation direction
- weight distribution
- tuning
- firmware
- ESC Calibrations and programming
- compass calibration

I have two Ardupilot APM's, a 2.6 and a 2.8. Both with most recent firmware and most stable version. Both are doing the same thing.

I fear I may be missing something really simple and stupid, but I'm a beginner in the world of programming and have only been using Arduino based systems for around a year, have multiple UnoR3, Micros, mega, and a bunch of RPI systems

Please help as I would love my birds to fly!

RenegadeEMT

New to this forum too. I will post videos and pictures of a couple builds and the video will be the Tip over... it tips different directions every time, it generally happens as it's just about to lift off, about 60% throttle. I have been using the s500 build to test as that one has flown with a different FC. The trimming doesn't seem to do all that much to fix the Tip over. Sometimes it tips right, sometimes left, sometimes forward, sometimes backward. Always on level surface. Two days ago I sort of did a jump start and throttled up quick... got it in the air about 5 feet high for almost a whole 2 seconds before it flipped and crashed... no damage but would like to avoid that in the future. I've calibrated the ESC's with 2 separate cards and the transmitter. Still the same problem... I've adjusted the PID settings both ways, wrote parameters, still same problem... motor and rotor spin direction is all correct. It holds a Tarot 2D Gyro Camera gimbal and camera, I'm running flureon 3s 3300mah batteries and 920kv DJI motors, 1145 Props, and I believe hobbyking platinum 30a ESC's. I have the latest firmware on the APM 2.8 and every time I update I always run a full calibration of the accelerometer and compass.

I will post a link to videos as soon as I post them.

Jason S

Ok so if you have checked the motor spin direction is all correct.
did you put the props on correctly? I am thinking that the left spinning props are on the right spinning motors? that might cause it to do that behaviour i have done it myself.

get someone to hold it in the air or strap it down until so you can watch it and try figure out whats going on

how about the radio calibration Are channels reversed ? Did you calibrate radio correctly ?

Last edited:

photojunky

If it fly's ok but does not hover correctly, that sound like some sort of issue with your GPS or barometer. I would try calibrating again. If you can check, make sure the one in the FC matches the one in the GPS disc. I had an issue and had to turn off one. The above posts scenarios would cause an instant crash so it is not bad props of a FC aimed wrong. I know first hand, lol. At least yours is flying. Check out my post.