Help on selecting a FPV / OSD system for Iris +

brocour

Hello,

This is my first time posting to this or any UAV forum and I am excited that I am doing so!

I just placed an online order for the Iris + by 3D Robotics. I am looking for both a FPV and OSD setup for it. I did not pull the trigger on the fpv system or the fpv/osd ones offered by 3D Robotics themselves after reading a few reviews on them.

I have been all over the net looking at every thing out there related to fpv and multicopter but there are sooo many different options i have to admit that i get lost on what will work best for my Iris + and is worth the price too.

I am using this system with a GoPro Hero 4 to do aerial photography 3d Photogrammetry, structure review and whatnot. I need a FPV setup that will use the GoPro for the view. (I believe it is best to use it vs adding another still camera on the front and battery for it from what i have been ready on FPVs).

I would also like an OSD system as well for obvious safety reasons.

I do own a Nexus 7 2nd gen I assume i will be using it for the droidmission planner app and should not also use it for the fpv system.

I am open to both the idea of a monitor style system or a goggle type system, but feel the goggle will be a lot more and i should go for a monitor style for now. If possible an HD feed would be best; this way i can show other people live what the uav is seeing on the monitor if applicable. I am sure i can down the road upgrade to a system that will allow both a live feed on goggles and on a monitor at the same time?!?

The less I have to cut and solder the better, for I have read on dozens of posts were people have blown out the electronics due to accidents while hacking their systems via soldering.

Again, i did not go with the LiveView FPv or the FPV/OSD modules that 3d Robotics offered because i have read that they are over priced for what i get in return when i can end up getting much better for less.

I really appreciate all the input and advice that i get and i know it is a lot that i am asking for help deciding on.

Frank

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Frank, We received an IRIS+ for a product review but it just got here so I haven't had a chance to dig into it yet. My only concern with using the GoPro for your FPV feed would be getting the wire from the GoPro out to the video transmitter without the weight or stiffness of the wire affecting the movement of the gimbal....did you get the Tarot 2D gimbal with the Iris+?

As for an OSD, I haven't researched that aspect yet, I'm sorta expecting the Iris+ that we received to have the 3DR options included so that we can have them included in the review.

Give me a week or two to get caught up to everyone and we'll do our best to contribute to our community of Iris+ users' efforts.

Bart

brocour

Thanks Bart.

I did not buy the 2 axis gimbal that they had to offer for I want to use a 3 axis one instead.

I will keep you posted

Frank

Old Man

The Minum OSD and vTx package that 3DR packages with their stuff works pretty good. I did have an issue with one of the 200mW vTx but they replaced that very quickly and for the past year or so things have worked fine. The output wire for a Go Pro does not seem to have much impact on a Tarot 2D gimbal if one assures the wire does not get hung up on the gimbal.

brocour

I ended up purchasing the DYS 3 axis gimbal instead of going with the tarrot 2 axis. I plan on making professional looking video so the extra axis to keep the pan stable in the high winds here in N.S. Canada will help with that.

It will arrive any day now so I am looking forward to attaching it to my Iris +

I have since been testing it limitations on my Lake and I am very impressed with how well the GPS guided Loiter Mode works with the winds. I tend to only use the Loiter mode when taking photographs....but when it comes to smooth video, without the use of a gimbal, I turn loiter mode off and free fly it instead. I switch loiter back on when i want to re-position the drone to a new location.

So now i am looking to add a FPV system other than the one 3dr offers.

I will keep you posted as to how the new gimbal works out.

Koala

Keep in mind a 3 axis gimbal camera view will be obstructed when panning by the landing gear on the Iris. Believe thats why theirs is only 2 axis

coleross

Happiness is a Chioce!
Has anything more been found on this topic. Recently got an Iris that I am vary happy with and would love to add an FPV system to it. Currently planning to get the Tarot 2D gimbal from a third party seller (not 3dr) and 3d print a mount plate (yup have my own 3d printer). Don't really see how 3dr gets off selling the gimbal for over 200 when all they have added is a piece of plastic to mount it.

Anyhow, back to the FPV, looking for a better/more cost effective solution if there is one. Any tips would be great.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk