Help neede: NAZA - Assistant won't recognize the LED.

Hi guys. I build the 450 about 2 weeks ago , but due to travel and work schedules I haven't had the time until now to really devote to fixing the issues that I have had getting the NAZA and the Assistant software to talk. It's been quite frustrating - so hope fully the dtails below will jog your memory or experience and you can point me in the right direction? I hope it's something simple - and stupid - that I'm doing, but until I can get it to work, I'm stuck on the bench.

Here is my setup:
MZ14 Tx with R6014HS Rx

I am running Win7 64 bit

I have downloaded Assitant software and installed.
I have downloaded 64 bit driver (DJI_USB_Driver.zip), decompressed and installed. Note: I installed it and then connected the NAZA via the USB. I also re-installed the driver WITH the LED connected to the PC. Note: I have to click "SKIP" on the Assistant software splash screen. The "MC Output ON" is flashing at the bottom of the screen. I do NOT get the option to "write"

Nothing happens. The Assistant software does not recognize that the NAZA is present.

My sequence 1: Plug in battery and power up the 450. Beep. Beep. followed by an increasing series of tones twice and a quickly flashing yellow light. Green light is lit followed by no sound.
My sequence 2: Plug the USB into the LED, plug the battery to the 450 and power up. Beep. Beep. followed by the single series of tones that increase. Green light is lit followed by no sound.
So, it seemd that whether I plug in the battery and power up the NZA first or I connect the NAZA to the PC and then power up - the result is the same. I'm "guessing" that the USB cable is OK since the yellow light stops fliashing when I connect the USB to the LED.

Any support / help would be appreciated.

kloner

Aerial DP
can you post some pictures of your naza with the wire connectors showing?

when you plug the usb to the led in, is the led connected to the naza? When it is plugged in, does your pc show it installing the device by the clock and make a sound?

View attachment 2911View attachment 2912
KLoner,
Attached above are two images of how I have the NAZA connected to the LED and to my RX.

You can see in the second photo that the green LED is lit showing that I have power to the NAZA/LED and that it is connected to the PC (no yellow flahing light).

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    134.4 KB · Views: 428
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 360

WillM

Are you sure you grabbed the right driver?
The NAZA drivers aren't available in zip files, they are RAR files on the DJI support site:

http://www.dji-hobby.com/naza/index_en.html

The drivers are at the bottom-left of that page, called "NAZA Multi-Rotor Driver 32 & 64 Bit" here's a direct link:

http://www.dji-innovations.com/files/naza/NAZA_USB_Driver.rar

You need a program that can extract a .rar file.

How does the NAZA currently appear in Device Manager?
Do you get a Windows 'ding' when you connect the USB?

If the Assistant is hanging at the splash screen, then my guess is that it not finding the NAZA. That's a driver issue.

As far as I recall, "MC Output ON" means that the NAZA is armed and has control of the speed controls/motors. That shoudn't ever be the case when you are connected to the Assistant Software. Normally, you would be able to turn on your transmitter and go through all of the setups, but the MC Output should be OFF and you should never be able to arm the motors while connected via USB.

Finally, who did you buy your kit from? I'd contact them. That's why I try to deal with reputable, reliable dealers. Customer support is king!

Tomstoy2

You can download 7-zip for free, which will handle a .rar file. Just make sure you identify it as a .rar in the 7-zip.

kloner

Aerial DP
good catch.......... the naza isn't being recognized yet. Try that driver he linked

I found a program winrar that let you sample it. was enough to get the drivers installed. The updates so far have all been zip so hopefuly it stays that way. Watch for adware on those rar openers

Thanks Will M and kloner.
I had already downloaded those -but just ot be certain - I downloaded them again and re-installed them after uninstalling the Assistant Software.

I get the windows two-tone soud that seems to indicate that it has the driver installed - but I am getting the same result. Nothing happens.

When you double click the Assistant software, do you also have to click "skip" -- ? If I don't it will hang there forever....

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
having to click skip means it doesn't see it yet.

Do this....... turn on the tx, plug in the battery to the naza, plug in the usb, then open the assistant. still gives the option and you have to skip?

That solid green light means the naza sees the pc.

This is almost like a pc bios issue. Can you try using a port on the pc completely opposite where your trying? if it's plugged in back, plug it in up front, or if it's up top, move it down to the bottom.

Thank you Kloner.
I just moved the USB to the back of the PC (I had already tried the other port on the front with no change in result).

I followed your process steps from above -- and I still get the same result.

Are you using WIN7/64bit?

View attachment 2917
This is what I see in the Control Panel.

It reads "USB Virtual Com" (Model: DJI Controller & Status:needs troubleshooting)

I just don't know where to start troubleshooting as I think (?) I've followed all of the steps properly.....

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 348

According to the driver tab on the device driver page, the driver is missing or corrupt -- meaning, I guess that the driver never installed.

Is there a way to "force" install the driver? I have double clicked on the 64 bit driver .exe file that is provided in the download but it's not installing - or I'm not following the proper steps (?) for installation.

kloner

Aerial DP
if you right click the dji thing with com100 and hit properties, then at the top right hit hardware it has properties. click driver, then try update driver, have disk, point it at the driver file you un rar'd........

That's to do what you asked

have you tried right clicking the driver file and "run as administrator?"

kloner / Tahoe Ed:
When I navigate to the Control Panel and right click on the USB Virtual Com (COM100) (you can see in the attached pic in my post above) and then right click Properties--> Hardware --> proterties --> Driver -- the Update Driver Box is greyed out so I cannot update it.

I also downloaded the .zip file that tried to install from there (after the NAZA/LED was powered up and the Tx was also on) but nothing.

It almost seems that the PC is not seeing the NAZA directly --> USB Virtual Com (COM100).

SUCCESS!
View attachment 2926
However, I'm not sure "how" it got fixed - and that bothers me.

I uninstalled:
The Assistant Software
ALL files that I had downloaded
....and re-booted (Hard boot)

I navigated to the DJI website and downloaded the same files that I had downloaded before and installed from the clean boot.

This time it worked....maybe (when I can make the time) I'll try to re-create this so we can create an FAQ to support other members that might experience this same type of issue. "problem --> probable cause --> possible remedy"

Anyway - THANK YOU to all of you that supported and provided suggestions and files. I really appreciate it.

...now - I need to stuff the bits inside the frames and get on with the business of putting this thing in the air!

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 397

kloner

Aerial DP
whew......... close one. It feels like a computer bios deal but at this point, lets just worry about getting ya flying. This naza is a tough one for alot of folks to get going. I can't see under the naza, but make sure to install it with no bubbles in your double sided tape, the better and flatter you make it the better she flies

Ed, any idea what hoot did to the file to make it work? crazy programers

Tahoe Ed

From what I understand, he just opened the .rar file and saved is as a zip file. I don't think that he did anything to the program or drivers.