Help me choose!

wonkdonk

Hello all.

I've been lurking for a while trying to decide what to get as my first MR. Well actually my second as I've bought a Hubsan X4 to start learning with.

My goal is to use it to shoot aerials as part of the shows that I work on - mainly the travel/adventure genre. We go to some fairly remote places so hiring someone to bring their own gear etc isn't really an option.

This leads on to my next issue - I'd originally planned to go for a 550/GoPro as my first multi to shoot with. Being a hex there's some redundancy in the event of a motor going and it's size would help with stability. However, traveling to these remote places means that I'm edging more towards a Phantom with H3-3D as it's far more portable and can be carried in a specialized backpack. There's also the issue of flying with the size and quantity of Lipos I'd need.

It's my first multirotor, so I want it to be simple - not necessarily plug and play, but not something that needs constant tinkering - although I'm sure there will be plenty with whatever I go for. Also, when it's time to upgrade, I'm probably going to go for a significantly bigger one that can handle a GH4 (for example), starting again with a new platform and keep this one, ending up with 2 units, rather than trying to reuse components from my first one.

I've seen this at Quadcopters.co.uk - http://www.quadcopters.co.uk/dji-phantom-2-fpv-edition-with-zenmuse-h3-3d-1249-p.asp. It uses the 600mW transmitter that I think should help with FPV - not so much for range, but for clarity of picture for my director.

I was also thinking about upgrading the standard DJI motors to these - http://www.quadcopters.co.uk/t-motor-mn2214-v2-anti-gravity-dji-phantom-upgrade-motors-4pc-917-p.asp - I've read that they're a better and more reliable motor. Need to check if they need different props. Would the Naza be need any tweaking with different motors? Didn't I say no tinkering? See how long that lasted?!

Also, I know I'll have to get certified and insured - I was thinking of booking onto one of Resource's courses in the summer, once I've got some hours under my belt.

Any thoughts that anyone may have would be very gratefully received from this enthusiastic, but novice pilot!

Cheers.