Help for a student project :)

Dragos

Hello, my name is Dragos and i will really appreciate your help. I am new in this multirotors field and the project that my and my team will try is quite a complex one. We want to build a self-controlled quadcopter that will go from point A to point B using a sensor (that is not yet decided) to detect the obstacles that are in from of the quadcopter. The first question that i have is for a list of components that will fit with this idea. Because i am new in this field the number of options for frame/motors/battery/ESC/propeller/flight control board etc. is overwhelming and i don't know which is better. I think the most important part for this project is the flight time which i hope that can be acceptable (over 10 min maybe).
Okay, then this are the parts until now.
Q450 V3=270 g
Control board=14g
Batterye 1=443g
Batterye 2=308g
Arduino that i will may use 30gx2=60g
And if is necessary maybe an external GPS module that can be like 20 g more for example.
So until now we have 800g for the big batterye and 660 g for the smaller batteryes.Maybe something like 1000-1200 kv will be good?
Thank you very much for your attention and any advice is welcome.

Dragos

JoeBob thank you for tha sonar idea but it's to expensive for my project i will use a normal ultrasonic hc-sr04 it's not so precise but will work form this project.
soggybottoms i know that website but i can decide on an motor and battery.
Also i need a good fly time, maybe over 10 mins. so the hard part is to chose the motors and battery.
The total weight of the quadcopter will be around 1400-1500 with the motors and battery.
So please some suggestions about the motors and battery that will synergyse well.
And thank you again for the answers.

Dragos

Before everything i want to share with you guys a youtube channel that i think is very good and help me very much with the options for the motors and propellers.link
Two of the videos are some basics for motors and propellers.
So after a lot of research i think i have a list of components that i will use for my project.I just want some feedback about it and what extra small parts i need for it ( wires connectors and so on) .
Frame=560g
Motors=66gx4
Esc=32gx4
Control board=32g
Battery=481g
Charger=link
Propellers=20gx4
Remote control=link
Extra gps=14g
This is my list for the parts.I am in a rush with buying the parts so a fast feedback will be highly appreciated.
I hope everything is good and i can buy the parts.
Thank you again.

don't forget the power supply for the charger, perhaps 3.5mm bullets for connecting the esc's to motor wires, xt60 connects and you should be good for 10+ minutes of hover with up to 400g of whatever sensor you decide upon
you will have a blast :)

kloner

Aerial DP
i see you mention wanting autonomous but mentioned "And if is necessary maybe an external GPS module that can be like 20 g more for example." Huh? do you have a denied system already in place cause if not, your gonna be relying 100% on that gps no?

where are you at Dragos? what level of school is this?

Dragos

I am doing a bachelor (computer and electronic engineering second year ). I want an external GPS just because i read that the gps that the control board has it can have problems so better safe then sorry. This gps is for the outside missions and i will use some ultrasonic sensors for detecting the obstacles. I also want to try if is possible to move it from point A to B and a smaller space ( like a room for example) by giving input from a pc for example to go a certain distance. But for this i need to see how opened is the control board and if i can obtain the informations about the status of the qaudcopter and use them in an arduino to calculate everything. If you have any advice i will be gratefoul. Thank you also for the small parts sugestions.

kloner

Aerial DP
what country are you in?

i've only ever seen an external gps

your talking about gps denied areas.... you got a bit more to do to be succesful than that, might make sure you can do it with theory and the parts you can afford before comitting to something that won't get you there.

the control board will do it, but can your pocket afford a denied system? what tells the board what to do part.....a sonic sensor wouldn't do everything, too low of resolution to the best of my knowledge

Dragos

I don't need high resolution for that i need only to see if i have an obstacle in front of the quad.for demonstration we will have a wall. Thas a big object so no problem with that. Because is a second year project we don't need that precision. What is that denied system about? I was hoping that i can control the board with the arduino. I am in Denmark.

Dragos

Thank you for your help.The accuracy of the quad can be solv in the next semester. This project will help us understand alot about everything that is involve here. Can you give me a link or where to look for that denied system that you where talking about. Or what is that to have a look at it and try to understand a bit of it.
The last request is for the parts. If everything is ok and i can buy the parts so i can get use with it.
Thank you again for the help, anything is helful now.

kloner

Aerial DP
everything i know is of military grade and i can't afford the brochure.... little lone the parts.

try searching gps denied environment

Dragos

That gps denied environment is a very complex topic that we can;t cover in the time that we have for the project but thank you for that information is very useful.
I have one more question for now. All the parts are good for a functional quadcopter?
Any recomandations about motors battery or any other parts?

Dragos

Yes.. sorry but i was trying so many motors that i don't remember anymore which one is there in which one is not. Everything looks fine and i will buy the parts today maybe and next week start working for the sensors and everything else. Thanks to everybody for the help. :)