Help Choosing FPV

david653

Hey so new to this thread and have used a DJI Phantom 3 Professional before and it was sweet. Wasnt mine but I am going to be buying a used F550 for $500 but it doesnt have FPV. I have a Go Pro Hero 4 I would like to use for FPV if possible but cant seem to figure out what kinda transmitters and receivers and everything I need.

Prefer something simple since I am just starting out but nothing to crappy. Can you recommend any kits or anything?

Thanks

Don't go too high on power. I have a 600mw set up and that's more than plenty for me. A lot of people start out with 200mw but I would say that's minimum. Go with a 5.8 ghz setup and one that has all 32 channels if possible. (At least make sure your receiver receives all 32 channels). Fat shark makes some pretty decent package deals but there are tons of other choices as well. If its your first one then get an all in one package deal that has the camera, transmitter and receiver plus antennas. If it doesn't come with cloverleaf antennas you should consider upgrading to those. After that all you need is a video screen or some goggles. getting the gopro set up to use as the camera isn't a bad idea but you need a connector that takes the video out from the camera and sends it to your transmitter. You will have to wire that up yourself, its not too complicated.

New to the hobby, and might be off base asking this, but given the relatively cheap camera out there why would you use your GoPro?

Just curious.

I would only use my go pro for filming or stills. I have always gone for the dedicated FPV camera. If your trying to frame a shot for a nice pic (or video) then its helpful to see what the camera that your recording with sees but other than that I like a dedicated FPV camera. When I first started out I wanted everything all in one but you learn along the way what works easiest. For me that was having separate cameras. With head tracking, controllable gimbals, etc. it's only a matter of figuring out the way you want to do things.

F

fengshuidrone

New to the hobby, and might be off base asking this, but given the relatively cheap camera out there why would you use your GoPro?

Just curious.
Go Pros work good for FPV. All you need is the USB adapter to get the signal to the TX. That's about $2.59. Another camera he would need to spring at least $10.00:eek::p;)
I've seen FPVers with three and four cams. On some the go pro does AP while the CCD cams do the FPV.