Hello, new with questions!

Even better are these cell log devices and if you have the time you can do a lot more with it..... they are also a bit more accurate with balance v measurements....View attachment 16212

You'll end up using 5 of those servo connectors on the KK board set up with S-L switched. The ESC's have their own 3 pin servo's. BTW- If you really want something useful and "cool" for your battery balance lead. This low voltage voltmeter alarm is loud, and reads voltage for total cell count and /cell up to 8S. I have one. It is loud. One can set the alarm voltage. It is relatively accurate based on my multimeter. It reads "more discharged" than actual.

I wish I could try fixed wing flying. My buddies at RCG have been trying to get me to try those fixed wings. I do not think that fixed winged RC and my property are a good match.

Attachments

• CellLog-8M.jpg
    CellLog-8M.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 179

I like to use the Turnigy Multistar motors as they are the new pancake style that apparently have a better torque to motor weight ratio. The new carbon fiber paddle props work best with these....... note the special parameter override adjustment for the thinner props in eCalc for Multirotors.

Hello. Here's a shocker. I'm here because I want to build a quad copter! Could you point me in the right direction?

Flight Controller
I am not too worried about ESCs, motors, props, and frame. I am thinking either a warthox frame or something cheap from HobbyKing. Turnigy motors, SimonK flashed ESCs. Something like that.

The flight controller is a bit of a mystery to me. I know of the KK board from HobbyKing, and I am trying to read up on MultiWii. If I understand correctly, an Arduino Mini board and a Wii Motion Plus board are combined. Correct? MWC Paris AIR looks quite nice as well although a little more money.

What is the best solution for a beginner? I am not afraid of soldering, but I need to be able to understand what to do, and I want to fly!

Radio
Does anyone have experience with the cheap 9ch Turnigy radios? Any other suggestions if they are no good? What receiver do you suggest?

Should you choose the Futaba RC radios, e.g., T8FG Super which actually has 8 channels on the Tx side...... try to buy it without the 6208SB receiver. You can get the exact same receiver from FrSky for about 1/3 the price...... it has FASST as well as s.bus to be an exact match to the one provided by Futaba.

Hello. Here's a shocker. I'm here because I want to build a quad copter! Could you point me in the right direction?

Flight Controller
I am not too worried about ESCs, motors, props, and frame. I am thinking either a warthox frame or something cheap from HobbyKing. Turnigy motors, SimonK flashed ESCs. Something like that.

The flight controller is a bit of a mystery to me. I know of the KK board from HobbyKing, and I am trying to read up on MultiWii. If I understand correctly, an Arduino Mini board and a Wii Motion Plus board are combined. Correct? MWC Paris AIR looks quite nice as well although a little more money.

What is the best solution for a beginner? I am not afraid of soldering, but I need to be able to understand what to do, and I want to fly!

Radio
Does anyone have experience with the cheap 9ch Turnigy radios? Any other suggestions if they are no good? What receiver do you suggest?

Netdewt

50% throttle - Good to know... 4000 mAh is too big then.

For now I ordered Syma X1. I watched lots of videos and after noticing the size, the X1 looks like a better option. Plus it's cheaper!

Netdewt

Should you choose the Futaba RC radios, e.g., T8FG Super which actually has 8 channels on the Tx side...... try to buy it without the 6208SB receiver. You can get the exact same receiver from FrSky for about 1/3 the price...... it has FASST as well as s.bus to be an exact match to the one provided by Futaba.

I would love to go that route. That thing is super expensive. If I got really into this it'd be worth it. My 4ch FM is Futaba.

For now, people seem to like the $55 Turnigy 9X.

Last edited by a moderator:

Netdewt

I like to use the Turnigy Multistar motors as they are the new pancake style that apparently have a better torque to motor weight ratio. The new carbon fiber paddle props work best with these....... note the special parameter override adjustment for the thinner props in eCalc for Multirotors.

I'll look into those. I speced the Aerodrive because tons of builds use them, and I don't know enough about motors to do my own research.

FlyGirl

Flygirl- Who wants to fly a simple, sturdy, $34, 3 axis controlled quad that requires a little more Tx stick input than a 6 axis and puts a little more demand on the owner/operator? Up to 5 mph wind it flies ~OK, and it can carry an oversize battery a keychain videocam and other stuff and still fly in temperatures below freezing? My only range issue is my eyesight.

I'm thinking just you and I Jay! ;)

jbrumberg

An added benefit of choosing a SYMA X1 is that the SYMA X1 will bind with the 9X Tx. Performance and range improvements are significant. The X1 responds well to DR & EXP tuning. The only "problem" is one loses the "inversion" capability when one stops using the stock TX. I never cared for the inversion stuff anyways. I almost clipped my ear discovering that button.:strawberry:

50% throttle - Good to know... 4000 mAh is too big then.

For now I ordered Syma X1. I watched lots of videos and after noticing the size, the X1 looks like a better option. Plus it's cheaper!