Hello from Richmond, VA

WhiffleX

I was searching for a community of multirotor professionals and this came up. I'd just like to see some conversation outside of the realm of 250 FPV racers, so hopefully this is the place! I'm currently flying an F450 clone that was more or less a scratch build for amateur photography.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
welcome to MultiRotorForums.com WhiffleX, make yourself at home, we're a friendly bunch of folks. :)

Bartman

yes, I'm the host/admin, we've been here building/flying/fixing/helping since January, 2011.

Bartman

i fly a bunch of different things. I was actually just outside in the front yard flying the F450/NAZA I built with our group build from a couple of years ago and I also design my own frames so I have a few of those flying around, the largest is a coaxial quad (Mikrokopter FC2.5 system) with a Movi M5 under it. Lately I've been adapting my frame to a 250 racer format and that should fly as soon as I get my laptop back from the shop (Windows 10, what was I thinking???????????). Have a few mini RTF quads also which will be getting readied for winter indoor season pretty soon. Last but not least is a well loved 3D Robotics Iris+ that I enjoy and appreciate very much. :)

WhiffleX

i fly a bunch of different things. I was actually just outside in the front yard flying the F450/NAZA I built with our group build from a couple of years ago and I also design my own frames so I have a few of those flying around, the largest is a coaxial quad (Mikrokopter FC2.5 system) with a Movi M5 under it. Lately I've been adapting my frame to a 250 racer format and that should fly as soon as I get my laptop back from the shop (Windows 10, what was I thinking???????????). Have a few mini RTF quads also which will be getting readied for winter indoor season pretty soon. Last but not least is a well loved 3D Robotics Iris+ that I enjoy and appreciate very much. :)

Great! I'm quite happy with the F450 form factor. It's not too large, but not too little. What do you build your frames with? I did consider that, but with frames costing so little I thought I'd save a little time and buy one ready-made. The 250 racing format is quite popular and I may build one someday, but I like the quality of the footage you get with a well tuned rig and gimbal. I'd love to get into professional AP at some point, but the FAA needs to get in gear for that to happen.

I just ordered a Hubsan X4 for indoor season. My Cheerson CX-10 has seen better days and it's just not functioning the way I'd like. I probably need to replace the battery and a motor, but I'd rather put my time and money into something a tad larger like the X4.

Bartman

F450 is a good size, big enough for props and motors that can hoist a GoPro making it super versatile.

My frames are carbon fiber plate with CF tube arms. landing gear is aluminum, motor mounts are a combination of aluminum and nylon, all very minimalistic for max weight savings.

I agree, the FAA continues to be an obstacle to progress although the atmosphere right now is like a celebration compared to what it was eighteen months ago!

Laptop is back from the shop, gotta get a new flight control board fired up and maybe we fly a new quad tomorrow!

F

fengshuidrone

You build your frames a lot like I build mine Bartman. CF plate and tube. Aluminum landing gear (i made mine retracts). I wouldn't be able to bring myself to buying a large RTF frame, they're too easy to build.