Hello, everyone!

CinArts

A great big hello to everyone!

I've been lurking for a few weeks and have really enjoyed and appreciated all the posts and great info. I hope to be able to make a contribution soon.

I'm a former professional cinematographer (IATSE & ACFC) from Canada starting an aerial cinematography business in India. I've flown RC helis (hobby only) for a few years and I'm absolutely going nuts over the decision to buy my first multirotor.

Thanks for all the great threads for newbs like myself!

If anyone has advice or thoughts on a gimbal and multi for a Sony a7s ii, I'd be very glad to hear them.

Also very happy to provide advice on cinematography.

Cheers!

Kevin

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Welcome to Multirotorforums.com Kevin!

Sounds like you are off to a good start with your background in film and RC. Have you been practicing with a small quad or simulator yet?

There are some newer gimbals out there getting good results with the Sony (Gremsy, Infinity) and the price just dropped for the Movi. Depends on budget really.

Do you have a AV/P rig design developed yet?

What are the regulations like in India?

Have fun and fly safe!

Scott

CinArts

Yo, Scott! (I used to live in Bay Ridge)

Thanks for the warm welcome. No, haven't been practicing with small quad but I will as soon as I can - any suggestions would be most welcome. I have a heli sim but that's sitting in storage in Montreal.

I'm liking the Gremsy H3 a lot and I'm hoping I win the monthly Movi draw :p

Getting a rig in India is... difficult. India has very restrictive rules for importing Tx, and crazy high import duty and taxes. Most good gear costs 50% more than in USA IF you can get it here at all. Each Tx model has to be independently tested and then approved by gov't - all at mfr's expense. Many suppliers won't ship here period.

Flight regs are in limbo. DGCA (India's FAA) is currently working on sUAV regs but, in the interim, has issued a blanket ban. In addition, various state police forces have issued various bans.

On the plus side (there had to be one), in India, everything is possible ;)

At the moment I'm trying to price this:
  • S1000+
  • A2 or WKM
  • Hemsy H3
  • Connex HD
  • dual operator
from various suppliers and I'm itching to get in the air!

Cheers

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Bay ridge! Nice!!! I'm up in Williamsburg. Home of the hipsters.... :)

There are a ton of decent, cheap practice quads. Some of the more popular are Blade nano QX, various Hubsan and the Ominus series.

Make sure you check feedback for the H3 on that camera specifically. I recall @econfly mentioning he thought it might be a bit light for the Sony - but don't remember which model camera.

Bummer about all the restrictions. Hopefully they get it sorted by the time you're ready to get going.

CinArts

Hipsters! We've got some here, too. What I wouldn't give for a Williamsburg coffee shop right now...

Thanks for the recommendations on practice quads. I've been reading econofly's posts wrt H3. He mentions the a7R, which is about the same weight. IIRC the a7Sii and a good prime lens are about 500 grams under max weight.

I'm not going to let the lack of regulations stop me. I just need to make the right friends!

I'm happy to read anyone's thoughts on the rig mentioned above. Really. Specially builds and batteries.

Thanks!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
A great big hello to everyone!

I've been lurking for a few weeks and have really enjoyed and appreciated all the posts and great info. I hope to be able to make a contribution soon.

I'm a former professional cinematographer (IATSE & ACFC) from Canada starting an aerial cinematography business in India. I've flown RC helis (hobby only) for a few years and I'm absolutely going nuts over the decision to buy my first multirotor.

Thanks for all the great threads for newbs like myself!

If anyone has advice or thoughts on a gimbal and multi for a Sony a7s ii, I'd be very glad to hear them.

Also very happy to provide advice on cinematography.

Cheers!

Kevin

Hi Kevin and welcome to MultiRotorForums.com! Regarding your comment about advice for aerial cineaotography, beginning in January we'll be doing a regular segment on "Drone" Radio Live with tips for aerial media. Each episode we'll talk about a specific move or technique that can be done in the air.

@econfly is up to hie ears in his Sony a7s ii, I think he's got a Movi and a Gremsy, maybe he'll see the tag and chime in.

Until then, welcome and welcome some more!
Bart

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Getting a rig in India is... difficult. India has very restrictive rules for importing Tx, and crazy high import duty and taxes. Most good gear costs 50% more than in USA IF you can get it here at all. Each Tx model has to be independently tested and then approved by gov't - all at mfr's expense. Many suppliers won't ship here period.

I happen to travel to India on a pretty regular basis. What's the process for bringing stuff into the country? Where in India are you?

CinArts

Bartman,

Thanks for your warm welcome! I will definitely tune in to Drone Radio.

As to the India questions: I'm in Pune, which is about 3-4 hours drive southeast of Mumbai. It's sunny, dry and +30C here most of the year which beats the heck out of a Canadian winter. I have friends in Delhi and Kolkata.

As to the bringing stuff into the country, accurate and current information is hard to come by. A source of info for me has been http://www.rcindia.org though a lot of the relevant threads are very old.

Wifi band Txs do not require licences but 'type approval' must exist for any Tx entering the country. I could not find a current list of type approved Txs.

Have a peek at this link for some idea of the current regulatory environment: http://www.rcbazaar.com/product.aspx?productid=4716

As for bringing in everything else, you can bring it in your luggage for personal use; you can bring things in as a gift for friends or family (there may be tax implications for the recipient) or you can ship stuff in the usual ways.

Cheers!